Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reuben Puff Redux Redux


The wind is howling and the thermometer is hovering at 22 degrees!  Quite different from last year's balmy St. Patrick's Day.  The Baker and I headed into Chicago yesterday for breakfast and some food/bakery shopping.  The river was still green but the detritus from the parade had all been cleared away.  The revelers must have been sleeping in because traffic was very light.  We came home with deli corned beef for reuben sandwiches.  

This recipe was in the Chicago Tribune a number of year's ago.  It's really delicious.  I hope you have enough leftover to give it a try.


Reuben Puffs inspired by The Chicago Tribune


1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 medium onion, minced
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsps Dijon mustard plus additional for spreading on the bread
2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and patted very dry on paper towels
4 egg whites
4 large slices of deli rye bread
8 ounces thinly sliced corned beef

1.  Heat broiler.  Combine cheese, onion, mayonnaise and mustard in a medium bowl.  Stir in sauerkraut and egg whites (do not beat the egg whites) until well combined.
2.  Spread mustard on one side of bread.  Top each with 1/4 of the corned beef and top that with the cheese mixture spreading evenly over the corned beef to the edge of the bread.
3.  Broil about 10 inches from the heat until puffy and browned.  This will take 5 to 6 minutes.  Watch closely.

16 comments:

  1. bring it on, these look divine to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time when I would always order corned beef sandwiches or Montreal Smoked Meat and reubens. This would satisfy my cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reubens and this looks like a great version. Perfect for these still cold days.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I spent St. Patrick's Day in St. Louis. We had the most delicious corned beef and cabbage I have ever put in my mouth at my favorite pub. Oh to have a little left over to make this delicious sandwich. Have a wonderful week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie, Glad you made it into Chicago for that special breakfast you love. Glad you saw the GREEN water while there...

    The Reuben Puffs look great --and perfect for those leftovers from St. Patrick's...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... broiled... a nice change... they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds divine, I think we will try it! Did you take any pictures of the river?

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that looks amazing! My daughter works at the Panera on State Street and she said both Saturday and Sunday were insanely busy!

    Where is our spring??!! I am so done with this cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good recipe, Bonnie that I want to try! This weather is crazy and supposed to be even colder tomorrow. The last time we went into Chicago for St. Patrick's day turned out to be quite a time and we haven't been there on that day since. lol The river always looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hands down your paper has the best recipes of any! Glad you had a nice day in spite of the weather:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband would love this. I hope you are seeing some signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good! Stay warm in this cold weather- spring is almost here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sandwiches look so delish, I will sure have to try that recipe...love the openface and love it warm and a cold day,,,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't make corned beef for St. Patrick's day but will be making it in a week or so. I know what I'll be making with leftovers...sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.