Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gazpacho and A Confession

One of my favorite summer dishes is gazpacho.  In fact, I've never met a gazpacho that I didn't like.  And, I didn't meet a gazpacho until about six months before our first son was born.  I saw a recipe in a magazine and it looked delicious but--cold soup?  I'd never heard of such.  It had become my habit to take myself to lunch after each OB visit.  We were living in La Jolla, CA at the time and Cafe  Lautrec was a favorite restaurant.  There on the menu was gazpacho and I gave it a try.  So after each appointment (which of course included a weigh-in), I took myself to a little corner table at the Cafe L.  There I lunched on a bowl of the chilled goodness followed by a warm brownie a la mode.  I know!  But, I had a whole month to put this all behind me (literally) before the next weigh in.  The outcome was a gorgeous baby boy!  I repeated the procedure a few years later and the result was the same--another gorgeous baby boy!  While I am not a medical professional, nor do I think this would work for everyone (besides, Cafe Lautrec closed a few years back), it just seemed the right thing to do back then.

I've tried many recipes through the years and this one is my favorite.  It's a combination of recipes that I haven't tried to change for a number of years now.  For the brownie a la mode, you are on your own.



Gazpacho inspired by visits to Cafe Lautrec

1 cup sliced cucumbers 
5 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
dash of Tabasco
Chopped cucumbers for garnish

1.  Combine all the ingredients in a blender, food processor or use an immersion blender.  Process to a fairly smooth consistency.
2.  Chill the soup until it is very cold.  After chilling, taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.

ENJOY!




15 comments:

  1. i have never eaten cold soup before, but this one sounds great to me... and it is way to hot right now for hot soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a milkshake addiction during that time:)
    The first time I was offereg Gazpacho was in those yrs alos..and I must admit I did not like it.. it was not seasoned and tasted like a can of tomatoes in a processor..eventually I tasted a GREAT one..and have been hooked ever since..there is one on the menu for here sat..only because my friends are coming do i know that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gazpacho is a favorite summer meal here. I make it at least two or three times a year. It is always the best meal on a hot hot day.

    Oh I do remember those doctor's visits. I always scheduled my appointments first thing in the morning, not eat a thing and wear the lightest weight clothes possible. I was working those scales:) Have a wonderful Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love gazpacho too and seem to forget about it sometimes. Cute story about your relationship to gazpacho,the restaurant, and the birth of your boys.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. La Jolla is a lovely place. When did you move? Now I know the next thing I will try with all of my tomatoes!!! Thanks!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely summer treat.I love your recipe and the photo of your soup has irresistible color. You've set me thinking :-). Have a great day, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of this --but don't think I have ever eaten any... In fact, I'm not sure I've ever eaten any COLD soup... I'll try it --since I love all of the ingredients.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gazpacho on my to-make list this summer with garden tomatoes. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My confession... I've never tried gazpacho. I love everything in it, just have to mix some up:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mouth is watering. I haven't had this in a long time but love it. And we have a good harvest of freshly picked tomatoes ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome combination! This is undoubtedly the reason you had two beautiful baby boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. do you know I have never attempted gazpacho? I know its crazy but I am not much of a cold soup fan and it never appealed to me before but i must say that first shot of yours looks mighty tempting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never met a gazpacho I didn't like, either, Bonnie! Thank you for sharing your favorite!! blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie...(one of my favorite aunts name was Bonnie...Bonnie Fay)
    Thanks for coming over and leaving such an adorable comment about Johnny Depp. So adorable was it, I just had to add it to my post. I do that sometimes....:))

    How cute that you treated yourself to gazpacho and brownie...you go, girl. :))

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.