Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks

After ten days or so of oppressive, draining, nap-inducing heat, I walked outside yesterday morning and thought for a moment I'd somehow stepped into mid-fall.  It was gloriously cool with a gentle breeze.  Even though we have an air-conditioned home, it just isn't the same as opening the widows and being lulled to sleep by the rustle of leaves and other night sounds from critters just as happy to have a respite from the heat.  It was an o.k. day to have a hot meal for dinner!

I made a mental note to add pancetta and leeks to the grocery list in my purse.  I had caught part of an episode of Pioneer Woman over the weekend and thought this pasta she made for one (herself) looked and sounded delicious.  I jotted down the ingredients but not the amounts.  I also added garlic.  It was an ample serving for two with enough left-over for one lunch.  

Next on my to-do list?  Hire a food photographer or read the manual that came with my Canon SLR.  Those of you who recall when I got that camera please refrain from saying just how long ago that was!!

Here is the recipe.  It is easy, quick and delicious.


Pasta with Pancetta and Leeks inspired by the Pioneer Woman

10 to 12 ounces of bow-shaped pasta
6 ounces of rough-chopped pancetta
2 leeks, including about two inches of green, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp butter
1 fat clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan

1.  Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2.  Saute the pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat until the fat renders and the pancetta is beginning to brown.  Add the leeks and cook, about three minutes.  Stir in the butter and garlic and cook for three more minutes.  
3.  Pour in the wine and then reduce by 1/3.  This will take an additional 2-3 minutes.  Reduce the heat to low and taste for salt.  You may need to only add pepper.  Stir in the heavy cream and the Parmesan cheese.  Heat through and serve over the pasta.

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. if you do read how to use the camera on food, please do a quick and easy tutorial. i take horrible food photos and read the manual and still do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like recipes like this:) Which Canon do you have?
    :)

    It came w/ 2 lenses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to give this a try, Bonnie. It sounds like a perfect summer pasta. Were home again after three days in Provincetown and another seven in Brewster. The heat did not slow my family down, but I'm glad to be back on my hillside enjoying more temperate summer days. Actually, we got back to less than temperate weather and the heat here is extreme for Oregon. Global warming? Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't tell you how long I've had my camera and still on my list is to study the manual. I did once--a whirl through--when it was new, intending to really digest it at a later point. LOL. We can always dream ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, this weather is amazing!! I'd love to live somewhere where it is like this all year round - I would be a happy camper!

    Don't even get me started on my DSLR - I've had it for 2 1/2 years and I still don't know how it works! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to make this, Bonnie! Not one of your best food shots, but enough to tell this is my kind of dish!! Yum! I still do not know lots that my camera will do, and it is not even an SLR either. Now, on to the next things. I have never heard of Pioneer Woman, what and where is it? A cooking show? I have never run across it on Food Network or PBS, but it sounds good. Now to the pancetta. Of course I hear about it and watch people cook it on T.V., but I have never tried any!!! This is because it is totally foreign to me! Is it pre-cooked? Do you need to cook it? How is it different from regular ham? Other than that, this recipe should be a snap!!! It is cooling way down here, too. Isn't it wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pioneer Woman is the blog of Ree Drummond. She now has a show on the Food Network on Saturday mornings. I just ran across it last week. Check out her food blog. Pancetta is Italian bacon. It is fresh, not cured. It comes in a round log and you cook it just like bacon. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  7. Bonnie this look really delicious!!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pasta, pancetta, butter, cream and wine... What's not to love!!! Bet it was great! We had a 70 degree today too here in Philly, amazing for July:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie, as are all of your recipes, this one looks and sounds GREAT... Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

    Glad your weather is better. Ours is TOO. Today was a fabulous day here (low humidity, mild temps, etc.)... SO GE and I went to Tellico to do some waterfalling and hiking... Had SO much fun.... PERFECT day ---and it's hard to believe that it's July 25.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How could we go wrong with heavy cream and a good parmesan?? ;) Glad you enjoyed some cooler weather! About reading those camera manuals... sigh... yes, I need to also. Wishing you a wonderful weekend, Bonnie! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious.

    And, I just read that Pioneer Woman is in Chicago today (and she was looking for a good grilled cheese.)

    This weather is glorious.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ps. I mentioned you in today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you like this one I have a similar one...I use linguini and use sweet( loose ) breakfast or Italian sausage and leek, chic broth, cream

    Yum :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.