Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cole Slaw and Shrimp Tacos

One more month of summer to go and it's 54 degrees this morning!  In fact, our weather has been such that it seems as if summer hasn't quite started.  And I'm alright with it all.  Still wanting chilled soups and just-picked vegetables.  Still eating tomatoes like apples.  Still planning that summer picnic (soon?).

My friend, Vicky K., served this cole slaw when she hosted our book group a few months back.  It accompanied barbecued pork and baked beans and I thought it was one of the best cole slaws ever.  It has such a freshness in taste.  I think it will be a hit at my picnic.  And, until that time, we enjoyed it on shrimp tacos the other evening at dinner.



Cole Slaw

Mix together:
2 cups shredded cabbage (savoy is especially nice)
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Mix together:
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp white vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt

1.  Add dressing to shredded cabbage mixture about an hour before serving.
2.  Chill.

ENJOY!



Shrimp Tacos

Simply heat corn tortillas and spoon in boiled (or roasted) shrimp and the cole slaw.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. I find the parsley a very interesting addition, bet it adds a nice burst of flavor! Great weather here in Philly too-I love it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Bonnie,
    Thank you for visiting me . . . I couldn't find an email address but I was able to click on and find The Writer's Kitchen. I will enjoy following you and plan to try the Shrimp Tacos soon! They look and sound yummy.

    I hope you'll have the chance to meet Harold Fry . . .
    Love, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds refreshing. The heat here for the past month has been relentless and has me dreaming of cooler autumn days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE coleslaw and I'm always trying different variations (mostly depending on the mood I'm enjoying at the moment!). LOL! And, we love shrimp tacos. Thank you, Bonnie!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just devour fish tacos when in front of me! I can't believe the weather either, almost like fall it seems! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, Pam!

    xo
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet this was great with the shrimp. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love slaw and I will be trying this soon---shrimp in the freezer and all I need is cabbage. This is like fall. 56 degrees on our thermometer now and some trees are turning to fall colors. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am THERE, Dude! Phil loves cole slaw, but anymore he cannot find any that he likes. KFC used to make it really good many years ago, but he says they changed it and it sucks now. I am going to make this just for him, how easy can it get? And one more good thing, no mayo! Cranking up my new printer now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Darn... Why don't you live here at my house and COOK for me???? Those tacos and slaw look SO good... My mother used to make slaw very similar to that one. I loved it.....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tacos sound delicious with the cole slaw topping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love vinegar cole slaws! Mayo kind of makes me want to throw up. I am enjoying this cooler weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love fish/shrimp tacos. They are my favorite. This slaw sounds wonderful. I grew up on vinegar dressed cole slaw. I like the tartness over the creamy.

    We have had an unusually lovely summer as well. It is in the low eighties this week. Perfect! Have a grand Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice and healthy taco Bonnie. Love the cole slaw with the savoy cabbage and no mayonnaise. And you know how I love shrimp.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and delicious always wins the day. The tacos and the slaw are perfect together. I can't wait to hear more about the picnic. Have a wonderful weekend, Bonnie. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to use cole slaw (which I love)! I think we're finally getting a good dose of summer this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love shrimps and I think wih cole tasty delicious, love this Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.