Monday, September 9, 2013

Lemon Sponge Pudding

Just in case you'd like the recipe for the dessert from my last post, here it is.  If you want a discussion of Honey Boo Boo, you're on your own!!  

The dessert recipe is from the Joy of Cooking--my very first cookbook as a married lady.  One day, The Baker (who wasn't The Baker back then) came home from work with a grocery bag filled to the brim with lemons.  They were a perk of living in California.  Before that, I thought lemons came in twos--three at the most.  How much iced tea would one have to drink to use up a grocery bag full?  So, I hauled out that blue volume of culinary information and found the recipe for this dessert.  It has evolved to a lighter version of the original through trial and error.  As for the rest of the lemons?  I made lemonade, of course!  


Lemon Sponge Pudding inspired by Joy of Cooking

2 eggs at room temperature, separated
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup 1% milk

350 degree oven pre-heated
1.  Beat egg yolks until light in color.  Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until the yolks are smooth and pale yellow.
2.  Stir in the lemon juice, lemon rind and melted butter.  Add the flour and milk.  Beat until the batter is smooth.
3.  Using very clean and dry beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff.  Fold into the batter.
4.  Pour the batter into an ungreased 8-inch square or round dish. or into four 8-10 ounce ramekins.  Place into a rimmed baking pan and fill it with boiling water to come up as far as the batter in the dish(es).  Bake 45 minutes for the large pan and about 30 minutes for the smaller.  The top should be lightly browned.
5.  Serve warm or chilled.

ENJOY!

23 comments:

  1. Lemon desserts are ALWAYS a favorite around here... Sure wish I had this beautiful one to go with my coffee right now. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love anything with lemon on it or in it and the odd thing is, i don't care for lemon pepper chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy this recipe..i think I like it even more in turquoise:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, That looks so good... I have that old cookbook too... There are some great old recipes in there.

    I enjoy lemons also--but like you said, a little goes a long ways!!!!!! ha

    Thanks for the recipes.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good, and pretty in your ramekins. This would be a good use of my Hall Ramekins, rarely used and up in a high cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Bonnie I look these when you put the other day and I think looked delicious, love this récipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off...let me just say that I LOVE your cute sense of humor. You are precious.
    Next, I am about to have a sandwich for lunch...and need a dessert....I have lemons...I have already made lemonade sooooo.......
    now, where are my ramekins...?? oops, packed...
    ok, I'll use the bigger bowl.
    Thanks so much for this recipe....can't wait to eat it...I love ANYthing lemon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely lovely! I have never tasted anything like this, I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I was going to ask you some hard questions about Honey Boo Boo! I've actually only watched 10 minutes of that show all together. It's just . . . awful.

    But, your dish looks delicious - I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this for lunch today and it is OUT OF THIS WORLD. Sooo fresh tasting and light...and delicious.
    Thanks so much for the good recipe.
    I will HAVE to brag on it in a post soon....:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll bet Honey Boo Boo would like this too... Just sayin:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! You can never go wrong with "Joy of Cooking". I don't know much about Honey Boo Boo either. Have a grand week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lemons are always a favorite at our house. We buy them by the bag. I still have my original "Joy of Cooking" and my husband's grandmother's copy, if you can believe that!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure this is refreshing!

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't wait to post about it...come over and take a look. :))'
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really wasn't on the computer yesterday, so I missed your post. But I caught BJ's this morning, which led me to you.

    We absolutely love lemon in our house. I know we will be trying this.

    Your turquoise ramekins are SO pretty. Makes me wish I hadn't settled for plain white ones.

    Have a lovely day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. Custard has always been one of my most favorite desserts, ever since I was a little girl; so, when I saw your recipe, I knew, "I just HAVE to try this!"... Well, the rain is coming down pretty hard this morning, so I think there is no time like the present! As soon as I finish my cup of coffee here, I'll be giving this recipe a try! Thanks so much for sharing it! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great, but no oven on here in the house today because it's like an oven outside, as you know! That's a great cookbook too, got it for a shower gift 46 years ago and still have it. Stay cool, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. just a silly question- do you think you could cook this in the microwave? I have done so with a similar chocolate pudding and it turned out great. Just a thought to make life easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I've never really used the microwave for cooking other than steaming a few vegetables. If you've had success with a similar reason, it might work for this one. Let me know!!

      Delete
  20. I saw this on BJ's blog and came here to see if your recipe is the same one that my family has made for years. It is...and a favorite lemon dessert. If you don't have time to make a lemon pie...this will solve the lemon cravings.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  21. bj sent us over here and I'm pinning this yummy recipe to try really soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.