Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Almond and Sour Cream Coffee Cake

It's already December 3!  Was December the slowest month of the year when you were a child?  It certainly was for me.  Interminably slow!!  Now, it seems to be the fastest month.  With so much going on for us this Christmas season, it became important to get an early start on menus, gifts from the kitchen and, maybe, something other than sugar cookies for Santa's treat (although I've heard he really likes them).  

This Almond and Sour Cream coffee cake has long been a favorite at our house.  It lends itself well to baking early and freezing.  It pairs well with a breakfast casserole or stands alone for a delicious start to the day.  


Almond and Sour Cream Coffee Cake from the S.F. Junior League Cookbook

8 ounces of canned almond paste
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Topping:

1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cold butter

1.  Preheat the oven to 325 and butter and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
2.  Crumble the almond paste into a large mixing bowl.  Add the sugar and beat until combined.  Gradually add the softened butter.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.  Then add the vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
3.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
4.  Add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture and gently mix in with the mixer on low speed.
5.  Turn the mixture into the pan and smooth out.  The mixture is rather stiff.
6.  For the topping:  Mix the almonds with the brown sugar, flour and butter with a pastry cutter until
crumbly.  Sprinkle over the cake.
7.  Bake for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8.  Rest on a rack for ten minutes and remove from pan.

ENJOY!




16 comments:

  1. you are so right, it was slow, now it is on fast forward and i would like to slow it down because 2014 is staring us in the face and HOW did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet this smells amazing in the oven! I love sour cream in coffee cakes, it really makes them great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, December does seem to fly by now that we're adults, especially this year as they aren't as many shopping day.s Your almond coffee cake must smell & taste divine. Perfect for house guests for breakfast.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee cake is nice to have in the freezer and this sounds like a great one. Love your kitchen towel too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect way to start the day,Bonnie. As to more preparation time - I could use an extra day or two :-) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only I know Bonnie the times fly now! This look really beautiful Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I love goodies like this that will freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I should be dropping in any time!! I will have a plate, a fork, and a large doggie bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never used almond paste ... can you get it at a regular grocery? I love coffee cake.

    I had a small oral surgery this morning and in filling out the paper work I wrote the date as November ... hmm. How did it get to be December 3?

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another delicious looking treat from your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The days do fly by-- I can't believe it will be a new year soon!

    I love almond flavoring and I know this cake would be so moist and delicious. I'd like to make it once the last of the Thanksgiving opies and cakes are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I want to make this soon..A cake is needed here and I have that canned almond paste!

    ReplyDelete

  13. This sounds wonderful. I want to make this to take with me to visit my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read Monique's post and she raved about your cake. I had to come check it out. It looks like a lovely cake and my kind of cake. I have put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I wish I had seen this earlier…I would have made it for my dessert table for my open house Christmas party tomorrow. Well, I'll just have to save it for next year as it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.