Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake Redux

Today is the first of December and we've agreed to put up the Christmas tree.  This is very early for us but the month is a busy one this year.  There are guest rooms to be dusted, menus to plan, treats to prepare and gifts to wrap.  Most important is a graduation mid-month.  It all comes down to a joyful hustle and bustle this season.  Therefore, the tree goes up early.  An early carol or so might just be heard today as well.  

What does follow tradition, though, is this cranberry cake that has graced our table since a day or two after Thanksgiving, 1980.  The Gourmet Magazine it's in is falling apart.  I just can't bring myself to copy the many recipes we use from the issue and toss the rest out.  The issue is so old that it's one that didn't list ingredients separately from instructions--the bane of many users who found themselves searching for what to put on the grocery list!!

I believe I've shared it with you each November since I started this blog.  Here it is again to whet your appetite and encourage you to give it a try if you haven't already.

Now I'm off the pull out those boxes of decorations that I planned all year to organize.  I didn't--next year though!




Cranberry Upside Down Cake-Gourmet, November 1980

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan with three tbsp softened unsalted butter.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan and arrange a 12 ounce (because it is no longer a pound bag) of fresh cranberries evenly over the sugar.

3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange zest

Beat the above ingredients together until fluffy.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp  baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Sift the above ingredients together

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1/2 cup of milk until just combined.

Pour the batter over the cranberries and carefully smooth out.

Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 1 hour--until browned on top.

Let rest in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes.

Run a knife around the edges and unmold onto a platter.

17 comments:

  1. I always love cranberry look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious... I have this one written down from your last year's post I think... As much as I love Pumpkin in Fall, I love Cranberry at Christmas just as much... YUM.

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving holiday. We certainly did.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted it again. I now have a Pinterest board for Holiday Recipes and this is definitely joining the other recipes there. I can't get enough of cranberry recipes.
    Sam
    PS We put our decorations out very early this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely making this! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my mouth is watering, drooling in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color of this cake is just gorgeous, it looks like a Christmas ornament! It takes so much time and trouble to put the tree up that it needs to be up for a long time to be worth it!!! BUT I don't think we will put ours up this year...the cats won't leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure looks festive..have a great tree trimming time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color. Looks like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake is very pretty and sounds great! Have fun with the tree:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything cranberry! This is such a pretty cake. Yes our tree is up as well. Thanksgiving was late this year! Hugs! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is such a beautiful cake. Good for you to get the tree up--it sounds like a wonderful month for you with much good to anticipate! I also got the tree up as my nieces love to help. I always connect Gourmet magazines with the years we lived in a suburb on Lake Michigan. I hope to blog about that some day soon. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful way to enjoy cranberries this holiday season. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am lucky if my husband lets me put it up by the 15th of the month, and come December 26, he wants it taken down already - bah humbug! But what I do is bring out a few of my snowmen every day to make the house festive! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been looking for a dessert for Dave to make for my birthday. This may be it!

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking for a dessert for Dave to make me for my birthday. This may be it.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bonnie, it's so nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by so that I could return the visit. I love this recipe and will put it on my list. Thanks for sharing it. I'll look forward to coming back. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really beautiful and so is the recipe above. I think your site is terrific!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.