Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Mixed Fruit Christmas Tea Bread

O.K., it is actually mincemeat tea bread.  Wait!  Don't stop reading.  I have a way of knowing if you do and so does Santa!!  I have it on good authority that he loves mincemeat and has been known to put people, who don't at least give it a try, on his naughty list.  I would have ended up on the naughty list every year of my childhood.  Mincemeat never touched my lips.  The very name caused a shudder.  

As a newly wed out to establish a style of Christmas from the kitchen, I wanted to branch out a bit from the tried and true (tried by my mother and grandmother).  I clipped a recipe from the newspaper or a magazine for mincemeat hermits.  A soft, cake-like cookie was the result.  It was delicious and aged well.  Alas, that recipe has been lost.  I replaced it with other sweet treats.  Then, about a decade ago, a friend served this mincemeat sweet bread at her Christmas tea.  She had a beribboned packet of recipes for all the food and sweets served at the tea for each guest to take home.  Isn't that a great idea!!

This bread is best tightly wrapped and "aged" for a few days before serving.  It freezes well.



Mincemeat Tea Bread 

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp grated orange zest
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 cups mincemeat

350 degree oven

1.  Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
2.  In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients and stir together.  In a mixer bowl, stir the egg, oil, zest and juice together.  Add the mincemeat and stir together well.  Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until well moistened.  Do not over mix.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 55-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  The top of the loaf should be golden brown.
3.  Cool in pan for five minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing or freezing.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. Bonnie, we love mincemeat. When you mentioned Mincemeat Hermits, that almost sounds familiar. I am sure I made them back in the 60's. And like you, no recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I don't believe I've ever tasted mincemeat. My husband's grandmother used to make a tea ring for Christmas that I've never attempted. I admire your ability to bake such pretty breads.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. now this is one "fruitcake" I could easily devour! It looks great. Never tasted mincement myself but would like to just to say I have! I am weird like that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mincemeat has never touched my lips either.. hubby was raised on mincemeat pies and likes them... my mother wrapped her fruitcakes tight in muslin and aged them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds novel..!
    The ribbon makes it so cute too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds mighty good to me-make sure I'm on the "nice" list:@) I like the addition of orange zest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, your looks good!! I admit though, I am not a fan of mincemeat or of fruit bread. But oh how it reminds me of my Dad! He was. If he were here, I would make this for him immediately.
    I have been so darn busy, that I am way behind on blogging. Both reading, and posting. I will try to get a post up today.
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you picked the right house, being as we are full of mixed nuts, which would go well with the mixed fruit. My great grandfather emigrated here from Scotland, which he always missed. And he ALWAYS wanted mincemeat!!! I have had quite a few things that our family CALLED mincemeat, but probably never the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This takes me back to my grandmother's holiday meals and her mincemeat pies which I never liked (as a kid). Somehow they got to our Christmas table in Illinois too-- I wonder if she sent them to us or just the mincemeat and my mother would make them. I have a pottery jug I should put on my blog that is where my grandmother would store mincemeat--or maybe it was her mother. Does that sound possible? It is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never attempted to make mincemeat since it seems to be readily available in the stores during the holidays. I hope you'll post the photo of the jug.

      Delete
  10. I am mince meat fan and I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mincemeat and have made cookies with them using the recipe on the jar. They turned out really good! I made my own mincemeat one year for pies using meat. I wasn't a big fan, so I stick with the stuff in the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe, Bonnie! It sounds delicious! I grew up on mincemeat pies that mom made with roast beef, fruits, etc. Loved it! I miss those pies, and your tea bread would help me get over that! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should give it a try. It has been years and I bet I would like it now. As a child I did not.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.