Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Caramelized Mushrooms

We were both happy when the big pantry and refrigerator clean out came to an end.  It was time to make a list and have a dinner of what we wanted rather than what we felt we had to prepare.  Not that we didn't have some very tasty meals, they just seemed a bit forced.  

A small steak accompanied by mushrooms and a green salad made the menu cut.  The steak was tasty but the mushrooms stole the show!  The Baker had the recipe in his stash of clippings.  He jotted it down on a piece of paper and has no idea where it came from.  I suggested he double it next time.



Caramelized Mushrooms

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tawny port
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 pound medium, uniformly sized mushrooms

In a large saute pan, stir the olive oil, tawny port, balsamic vinegar. honey and salt together and cook over medium high heat until the mixture starts to sizzle.  This will take about three minutes.  Add the mushrooms, tops down.  Cook, shaking the pan and turning the mushrooms over until they are tender and the liquid has cooked down to a thick syrup that coats them--about eight minutes.



ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. they look delicious... not sure what tawny port is but i know i don't have any... off to google it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I see those little ghastly creatures below again. Now I just realized why I never liked those mink thingies, they look like bats clinging on!

    On to good things like your steak and mushrooms. That's a great recipe, the honey has to be a smooth sweet addition, plus it certainly helped caramelizing. The tawny port didn't hurt anything, for sure! Glad the Baker had it in his stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I bet the port made them taste divine. We always have a bottle of port for cooking.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess . . . I am not a mushroom gal . . . although everyone else in the family loves their mushrooms and are the best at finding Morel mushrooms . . . ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat a whole plate of these. They look as good as they sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even try mushrooms until a year ago - now they are a staple with steak - I just need to remember to buy them!

    Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore mushrooms, and your caramelized mushrooms sounds fabulous, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Ken would be all over these!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back

    here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as

    much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

    Mango Drinks

    ReplyDelete
  10. And, they say mushrooms are good for us! What a delicious way to prepare them, Bonnie. Next time we have steak, I'll try these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Se ve absolutamente delicioso y novedoso una exquisitez ,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.