Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cheese Krispies

During my snow-imposed hibernation, I've been going through food photos (a few of which I have no idea what the dish was!!), I came across this delicious nibble that I made at Christmas and forgot to share with you.  When I came across it, I remembered that I'd stuck a dozen of them in the freezer, formed but unbaked.  I pulled them out and popped them in the oven in their frozen state and was quite pleased with the result.  In fact, the next time I make them I'll do them ahead and bake them just before guests arrive.

There is a shop in my hometown in Virginia that always has nice tins of cheese biscuits when I visit in October.  I always bring some back with me.  Never one to toss out a pretty tin, I had the perfect storage container.  You don't have to wait until Christmas to enjoy these tasty morsels.  They would be perfect on a cheese and fruit tray, with a steaming bowl of soup or as an accompaniment to a nice glass of wine.



Cheese Krispies from the San Francisco Junior League Cookbook and me

1/2 pound butter, softened
1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp salt
1 fairly heaping tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 cups flour
2 cups Rice Krispies

350 degree oven

1.  Using a stand mixer (easier than by hand), mix the butter, cheese, salt and pepper together.
2.  Blend in the flour and Rice Krispies.
3.  Form into balls the size of walnuts and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4.  Using the tines of a fork, flatten each ball.
5.  Refrigerate until well chilled.
NOTE:  At this point, you may freeze the flattened balls on the cookie sheet.  When they are firm, place into a freezer bag.  When ready to bake, transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet and bake frozen.
6.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until just golden around the edges.  Do not brown.
7.  Serve warm or store in a tightly covered container.

ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. I've made something similar to these many years ago and they were fabulous. Love your pretty tin too. My husband fusses that I never throw anything out :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds heavenly, sinfully good! I need to get on my elliptical for a while before I try them to work off space! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy. Thank you for your kind words on my blog post today. Means a lot to me, to have so many who care.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! Oh, these look so good and thank you for the recipe. I'll have to try them as I can almost taste them now! That's a cute story about your granny's Jadeite!
    Thanks for popping in to see me and you're always a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to find a delicious cheesy surprise in your freezer.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound like fun to make.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect . . . I am copying this recipe and making them pronto!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious.
    New blog address....http://simplybalisha.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.