Thursday, March 6, 2014

Shrimp and Grits and Other Bits

I was born and raised in the south.  Geographically, Virginia is considered the mid-south.  That makes me a mid-southerner--a mid-southerner who never tasted grits growing up.  My first introduction was during a trip to the Raleigh-Durham area.  Andrew had a meeting and I tagged along from our home in Southern California.  We flew to Virginia to leave our toddler and infant with my sister and parents.  The North Carolina bed and breakfast we stayed in served up creamy, cheesy grits for breakfast and I was left wondering where the dish had been all my life!!  Before heading back to Virginia, we stopped at a Piggly-Wiggly (I'd never heard of the chain before and couldn't resist checking it out) to take home a few items.  In the baby food aisle, there were jars of Gerber's Grits for babies!!  I snatched up half a dozen jars to take back to California for all the babies we knew.   I wonder if Gerber's still jars grits for southern babies??



Shrimp and Grits from the deep south

1 cup white or yellow stone-ground grits
3/4 cup sharp cheddar, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp canola oil
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 lemon wedges plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Dash of hot sauce
4 scallions, thinly sliced

1.  In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a roiling boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to low and stir in the grits.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the grits are tender and creamy--about 40 minutes.  Stir in the cheeses and 1 Tbsp of the butter.  Season with salt if needed.  Cover and keep warm while preparing the shrimp.
2.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the bacon and sauté, stirring frequently, until crisp--about 10 minutes.  Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel.  Reserve the bacon grease in the pan.
3.  Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.  Over medium heat, add the shrimp to the skillet and cook, turning once, until pink, about 2 minutes.  Transfer the shrimp to a plate.  Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, cooking for 1 minute.  Raise the heat to high and add the chicken broth.  Cook until the broth is reduced by half.  This will take 3 to 4 minutes.  Return the shrimp to the skillet and add the lemon juice, remaining Tbsp of butter and the hot sauce.  Cook, stirring, for another minute.
4.  Divide the cooked grits among four shallow bowls.  Top each bowl with the shrimp and sauce.  Garnish with the bacon, scallions and lemon wedges.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. YUM.... I'd love that dish!!!!! But--even though I'm a southern girl through and through, I never had grits growing up in Virginia either... In fact, I've never liked grits --until I visited Charleston and had some of THEIRS.... Yum!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,
    this looks delicious! I love shrimp and grits and make it sometimes for my husband. I grew up in Bethesda, Md. so I guess I am a mid southern gal like you.

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have learned to like grits, I have never had shrimp and grits! I need to just order it sometime at a restaurant. I'm sure I'm missing something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE this, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in the deep south. As much as I love shrimp and grits, my mother never served grits. I am a firm believer that mothers served only what they liked :)

    I always shied away from grits in restaurants because of the big fat pat of margarine they always served on them. It was only when I first tasted baked cheese grits that I fell in love with them. And I love them to this day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had grits:)
    Of course I am from..QC.. very northern..
    One day I will taste!
    Piggly Wiggly I have read about in books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shopped at Piggly Wiggly when I was stationed in Arkansas, LOVED that store and it's 33¢/lb chicken legs! Dinner looks good, how could anything with bacon be anything but great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shrimp and grifts anf this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a southern girl too, and I never had grits until I was an adult. I love them with shrimp (yours looks delicious!) but have no desire to eat them with bacon and eggs for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up with Piggly Wiggly here in the Midwest :) Still haven't had shrimp and grits but it sounds like pure comfort food. The ingredients in your recipe sound wonderful,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never heard of grits in baby food jars! I fell in love with grits when I was traveling in Nashville. LOVE!!!! I have only made them a couple of times. But I think I will buy some next time I am at the market. Thanks for the reminder!!!!
    Your dish sounds fabulous!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I out shrimped my husband, he hasn't been a fan of them lately, but that looks delicious! Well, I deep fried shrimp for shrimp tacos last week, but he'll eat anything deep fat fried!

    Enjoy the warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grits baby food...too funny. When I was in Chicago last fall I had shrimp and grits for the first time and thought it was delicious...a great combination of flavors and textures. Thanks for the recipe, Bonnie. I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.