Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Out With the Old and In With the New



It has been just over twenty-four hours since my computer crashed.  What an odd and disconnected (truly) feeling it was to turn on the computer and have it go nowhere.  A gray screen and the Apple logo, accompanied by a spinning "wheel" was all I had.  After booting, rebooting, re-rebooting, unplugging and replugging, that dull gray screen stood firm.  A phone call to Apple confirmed what I feared:  "It sounds as if your computer has crashed".  A nice young man with a southern accent told me I could bring it into the store.  Hmmm, how much to maybe get it working again?  Five to seven hundred dollars!!  The Baker and I  put our heads together and decided that was too much to put into a five year old computer.

After Andrew left to pick up a new computer, it hit me (like a ton of bricks) that, even though I always meant to, I had never backed up my files.  My photos were gone!!  After sitting in stunned disbelief, I got back on the phone to Apple and found out that, quite likely, the photos and other files could be retrieved.  Whew!  I'll be off to have that taken care of once our latest round of snow is past.

In the meantime, I plugged in the camera to download the following two photos.  The only photos that I thought were on the camera.  Imagine my surprise when 571 photos downloaded.  I started doing the "all is not lost" dance while those precious photos kept popping up on the screen!!


Goodbye old friend.  
We've spent many mornings together.
Afternoons and evenings too.


Hello new friend.
Shall we meet for coffee tomorrow at 7 a.m.?


17 comments:

  1. Congrats... We would have done the same thing --bought a new one. Glad you are able to retrieve all of your stuff. BUT--Mama Adams says to her friend Bonnie: Get some back-up disks and back up all of your stuff. We use Time Machine --but also have other external drive to keep our photos and important stuff on... When we travel, we take these disks with us --in case of a fire of something here at home. With the back-ups, we can get everything totally back... Do it my friend. It will be worth it.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you got to keep photos!!

    And how loyal are you?:)
    Kudos.
    I still don't know where I am headed.

    PS love your hair:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie,
    so glad you were able to retrieve your photos. Give Carbonite a try. I am so glad that I have it.

    All the best,

    charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a windows based computer before and it crashed. Now, I am learning to use an Apple. Quite different than the other.....my pictures couldn't be retrieved.I have made my blog into books for the past 7 yrs....so I have the pictures there in the books. I had the hardest time getting used to the mouse. Glad you could get your photos back.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everything has worked out. I know how frustrating it is to have your computer crash. We've started to back up to the cloud with Carbonite. Again, so pleased for you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck with the new computer and I hope you can save everything you want to:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you were able to retrieve your photos, Bonnie. Technology is great except when it isn't :-). Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew . . . Wow . . . Happy iMac Sailing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fancy looking machine and all wireless? Or so the box photo appears to be. Glad you recovered so many photos already….hope they can transfer all of them. Which reminds me it's way past time to back up my computer …. if it's even really working!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I buy a yearly subscription to Mozy which is not expensive, and it backs up my entire computer every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. have fun with your new and hope they can retrieve your files

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new computer and some of your photos saved ... a very good day indeed.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the reminder to back up my photos. I have been a little lax lately. I just reformatted my camera disc so I wouldn't be so lucky. Enjoy visiting with your new friend! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friends Apple laptop just crashed recently too after only 4-1/2 years. Do you think Apple has a planned 5 year obsolescence? I am without my desktop computer today myself. My 11-year-old PC is in the "shop" getting a new operating system since windows xp is no longer supported after April of this year. Time for a new hard drive too. So glad your photos can be retrieved! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you are up and running with a new PC. It's awful feeling disconnected!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow…so glad so many of your photos were still in your camera. I have no back up on my MacBook Pro and I delete all my photos from my camera after they are downloaded on my computer. It sounds like I'm in big trouble and better head to Apple and see what they suggest. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You never backed up any of your files? Thankfully, your old one did it for you, and they have all been retrieved somewhat. Maybe now you can start having a backup device for your new laptop, to assure you’ll never have to worry when unexpected things happen to it. It pays to take extra precaution, even if most recent models automatically upload to cloud nowadays.

    Ruby Badcoe @ Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.