Monday, May 19, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Soup



Friday is my day of choice to grocery shop.  Often I go early in the morning before the aisles get crowded.  When time isn't a constraint, I leisurely browse to see what's new.  Some items not on the list have found their way into the cart at times.  Lingering over and picking out the best in fruits and vegetables is allowed early shoppers--at least that's what I tell myself.  Last Friday, list in hand, I headed to the store.  It was a chilly and drizzly morning.  Oh, and WINDY, very WINDY!  Seeing the stop sign twisting about on the pole should have been a clue!!  Nevertheless, I parked near the store, pulling the car in nose-to-nose with a fellow early shopper.  Gathering my gear, I tried opening the car door and I couldn't--not even using both hands.  The other shopper, a well-dressed lady probably on her way to work, easily opened her door as she was doing so with the wind.  I decided that I needed to park in the other direction or wait out the wind.  As I was making my decision, I watched as the lady reached the back of her car and faced the wind.  She was immediately blown over backward!!  At the same time, the rain started coming, not down but sideways, in torrents.  The lady struggled to her feet and got back in her car.  She probably went home to assess any damage and change into dry clothes.  I came home to see what I could possibly put together for dinner and save the shopping for another day.

The pantry held a jar of roasted red peppers and there was chicken stock in the freezer.  This soup turned out to be quite tasty when served with a green salad and corn muffins.  I hope you'll give it a try even without a blustery day.



Roasted Red Pepper Soup

1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onions over low heat until translucent, about five minutes.  Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute. 
2.  Add the peppers and chicken stock to the pan, cover and simmer for about twenty minutes.
3.  Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth--or, better yet, use an immersion blender right in the pot.
4.  Add salt and pepper if needed, heat and serve.

ENJOY!




16 comments:

  1. Well I'm certainly glad you didn't get out of your car and brave the wind. You were very smart to go home. I always have chicken stock and roasted red peppers on my shelf. Love how you've pulled this soup together Bonnie. Sometimes the best recipes come from circumstances beyond your control.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me or is life just windier?
    Every time we go out for errands or whatever..I feel like Dorothy in Kansas.
    Except her hair stayed put:)
    Both are staples here too and I am partial to roasted red pepper soup..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the flavor of roasted peppers! This looks good. But it will have to wait to cooler weather again. Which we won't be seeing until November! It has been hotter than hot here! Ugh!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story completely fascinated me, and I could not wait to see what came next!! You made a wise decision in turning around, the groceries can wait until a lovely spring day. And this bright soup would take the chill off anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That sure wasn't good with her! I do the same on Friday mornings and it was the same here, the wind never stops!!!!!! It is very chilly and rainy again today. Glad you made the decision to head back home and cooked this delicious soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this soup when I buy it at TJs and since I have all these ingredients unhand maybe I should take a stab at making it. Thanks for the recipe. That is quite a story! Windy Chicago and thereabouts ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy.weather.everywhere.anymore... Sounds like you created a very hearty meal, and stayed upright doing it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love soups, this look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! The wind was that strong…Yikes. Good thing you decided to save it for another day. This was a really good meal that you created with what was on hand-nice.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you turned around and went home…not only for your safety but for this soup recipe. I always have all the ingredients in my pantry and can't wait to try the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just saw something similar on the Chew yesterday and thought i need to try this for my pepper loving husband. It looks delicious. Our wind down here in Houston has been so strong here lately too but not that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wind can be scary at times. Going home was a good decision. Your soup looks delicious and so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a rough time for both of you.

    Mr. Ken would probably eat this. Lucky for
    you that had stuff on hand to make plan B.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yikes! You made a wise decision heading back home. I believe that day a very large limb fell down in our yard - thankfully not close to the house.

    Roasted red peppers are so delicious and soup is a wonderful way to use them - especially on a blustery day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to do any king of shopping but not in crowd. So we use to go early to shops and come late! Your soup looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.