Monday, June 30, 2014

Grape Tomato and Feta Tart

I've known Betty Rosbottom for a long time.  We met, via her Cooking School Cookbook about twenty-five years ago.  It is one of those cookbooks on my shelf that is stained, dog-eared and notated.  Such notes as:  "Jim loves this sweet potato recipe and he doesn't even like sweet potatoes" and "the boys really like this cranberry chutney".  While Betty and I have not actually met in person, she has played a big role in my kitchen.   It's a well-known fact that The Baker loves a good breakfast/brunch.  Imagine my delight when I found a new (to me) cookbook from Betty entitled Sunday Brunch.  I thought it would be a perfect small gift for him (me, as well if you get my drift).  As it turns out, I was the first to make use of the book.  Betty's recipe for this tomato tart kept calling to me.  I made several changes since I wanted to experiment with making the crust ahead of time and freezing it.  That worked well.  I used feta cheese.  Betty used bleu cheese.  The feta was delicious and I'm sure the bleu cheese would be as well.  I must note that I'm not a pastry crust expert but this was so easy to prepare.  We enjoyed it while watching one of the World Cup games (yes, Oliver got fed on time in case any of you are wondering).  I think it will be perfect for a ladies' luncheon.


Grape Tomato and Feta Tart inspired by Betty Rosbottom

Crust:  
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 ounces of cream cheese, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into 8 pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

375 degree oven
Use a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom
1.  Place the flour, cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse corn meal and starts to come together.
2.  Place the mixture on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth--just a few turns should do it.
3.  Press into the bottom of the ungreased tart pan.  Do not press up the sides.  Smooth out evenly with a flat bottom measuring cup.
4.  Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or, if making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.   When ready to use, defrost in the refrigerator for a few hours.
5.  Bake until golden brown--about 30 to 35 minutes.  Remove and cool for five minutes.

Topping:
4 oz of feta cheese
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt
1.  Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the warm crust and top with the tomatoes, cut side up.  Drizzle with the olive oil and then the vinegar.  Sprinkle with salt to taste.
2.  Place in the still hot oven and bake until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are hot--about 15 minutes.

Chop together a couple tablespoons of parsley and 2 green onions.  Sprinkle over the tart and serve warm or at room temperature.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. I am Pinning this..it looks fabulous!
    Thanks Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this looks wonderful! I have a grape tomato bush planted that has begun to produce oodles of those luscious little pear shaped jewels! I shall be making this for sure! Thanks for sharing!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tart is beautiful, and sounds yummy! This would be perfect a simple supper as well. So good to hear sweet Oliver is being taken care of:) Have a great week-end. B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--that is a gorgeous dish... Sounds perfect for when we take a dish to share with others (or at a luncheon like you mentioned)... Looks much too pretty for just the two of us to eat--without sharing! ha....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is perfect for any lunch, especially a fancy one. It is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous tart and I would be happy with it anytime.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I just jumped over to Amazon and had a look inside this book and ordered a copy right away. Can't wait to give some of the other recipes a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear that Oliver got fed on time! :-) Your tart looks delicious, Bonnie and I'm heading over to Amazon also, since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I love all that butter and cream cheese!

    Very dark here this afternoon and more of the same as yesterday on the the way this evening. It was one scary night and I hope you don't get it. Take care and Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a delightful brunch idea! It could even be dinner with the cheese in it. I'll try it when my cherry tomatoes get a little more abundant. So far, I only have 2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous! I'm with Susan, while I was thrilled to pick ~~anything~~ it was only one cherry tomato so far! I'll bet this was very tasty:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This grape tomato and feta tart is a beautiful way to experience summer foods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tomatoes and feta are a great combination- this looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delightful! I've made a tomato tart for many years -- caramelized onions, gruyere cheese, tomatoes and basil --- it's simple and perfect for summer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both feta and blue cheese so I think I'll try this using a combination of both! This is perfect for brunch or as an appetizer or light dinner entree. Your crust came out beautifully, Bonnie! PS: I am beginning my posts about our Chicago trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would go over very well at my house. I hope, I can find time to make it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.