Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Whole Beet


Question:  I use Blogger's Reading List to check for your postings.  The past two days, instead of showing the list, Blogger shows only one posting and when I click on "more", nothing comes up.  Are any of you having this problem?  It's a first for me.  If your new posts don't show up on Facebook, I don't know when you've posted.

Saturday's Farmers' Market had a perfect setting.  The sun was shining, the temperature was moderate and lots of people got out early.  Just north of the market, and around the city square, food tents were up and preparations were underway for the second day of "Taste of Crown Point".  Starting with the corn roast a few weeks ago, there is some sort of festivity going on around the square up to and on July 4th.

In addition to a nice Napa cabbage, a few young zucchinis and half a dozen luscious tomatoes, two bunches of beets with the greens attached came home with us.  Let me admit, up front, that for a long time, I cut those delicious and healthy greens off and tossed them in the garbage.  Beet greens were not something I grew up eating.  A few year's back, I came upon a recipe for them--well, not really a recipe.  It was more a hand slapping for not using them in the same manner as kale, spinach or other leafy greens are used.

Happily, the whole beet is now utilized in my kitchen!



Don't be fooled by how much the leaves from two bunches (about five beets) of beets seems to be.

Wash the leaves and remove the stems
To a large pot, add a Tbsp of canola oil, 1/2 cup water, 
salt and pepper to taste and bring to a simmer.
Add the greens and cover the pot.
In a few minutes, stir the greens down 
and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally,
for about 20 minutes.
They cook down to about three servings.



Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and enjoy!



For the beets, leave about an inch of the stems
and do not trim the roots.  
Wash them and lay on tin foil in a baking pan.
Cover with a top of tin foil and roast in a 400 degree oven
for about 40 minutes.  They are done when tender to the touch.
Cool slightly and slip the skins off.

We enjoyed some of ours served on a bed of the
cooked greens and topped with a sprinkle of 
feta cheese and spring onions.



ENJOY!

19 comments:

  1. Love beet greens! My Godmother first cooked them for me when I was a child. I love your easy recipes and would be more inclined to use goat cheese, which I love with with beets already!

    As to your Blogger problem, one other person mentioned this too. She goes by Elephant's Child (http://myjustsostory.blogspot.com). Not sure what she's doing about it but hope you'll visit her blog and correspond. Hope it gets fixed! Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I finally got Jack to eat them! I shall check the Farm Stand this week!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of feta cheese and spring onions! And the leaves are gorgeous! You can use your sidebar till the reader is fixed, it shows all the new posts. In fact, that is the only thing I have ever used to comment on, just go right down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds wonderful.. i love beets... the blogger problem is being worked on. i saw it on the forum... stuck on one to view and phooey for right now you can just click on each blog at the side and the newest comes up... time consuming. i use feedly but i just tried this and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger's not working..but I hear they are working on it..you are not alone..
    Have never cooked the leaves..grand idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like your greens Bonnie. We definitely to eat a more plant based diet.

    I highly recommend Feedly or Bloglovin' for following / reading blogs. I use both but prefer Feedly. Check it out. I think it is better than blogger / google reader.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, Bonnie, I am having the same problem. What I've done to rectify the problem is put the blogs I want to read in the blogroll on my sidebar. The updates show up there, which is how I knew you had updated.

    I love beets and beet greens. They are delish!!

    Blessings on your day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up eating lots of different kinds of greens, but not beet tops! My hand has now been slapped as well, and promise to try them the next time I get beets. (I LOVE beets, and no one else in my house does. ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That all looks divine! I read blogs from the sidebar of my own blog that updates them as they're posted, so I haven't noticed any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry I had a mistake!
    Bonnie I have in my sidebar my favorites so I know whe they have a new post!
    Also sometimes I have problems with bloggers.
    I love beets and this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year now, I try to plant something that I am not all too familiar with. This year it was Swiss Chard and Beets! We are LOVING them both! Cooking the greens too, and enjoying them just as much as the beet itself! Your meal looked so tasty! My Mom and I had a most wonderful salad at Cheesecake Factory yesterday. I can't wait to recreate it. It was baby arugula, sliced beets, which I think were slightly pickled, green apple pieces, candied walnuts, goat cheese and just every so slightly dressed in a light vinegar and oil. It was to die for!
    Happy week to you!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fresh beets are truly a treat! Sounds like there are lots of fun activities going on in your area-enjoy:@)
    PS-When I got up this morning my reading list was working again, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have never used the WHOLE beet before! How genius and creative. I can only imagine how amazing it must taste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do enjoy the whole beet, greens and all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks delicious, although I am still not a fan of beets - glad you are using everything now though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love beets and grew up eating them and beet greens from my parents' garden. What a wonderful vegetable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love beets, this sounds delicious!

    I have a blog roll on my blog with many of the blogs that I like to follow, so I can see when there are new post. I agree with you, the reading list is a bit hard to follow now...

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.