Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Green Beans with Red Onions and Mustard Seeds

Summer arrived on Sunday.  Hot, humid and not a breeze to be felt.  Sometime during the night, the air conditioning clicked on and mostly stayed on all day.  Potted flowers and herbs needed a second drink of water at bedtime.  Sunday was the first day of 90 degree weather in these parts.  Up until then, it had been very pleasant.  Just enough rain to keep the grass and plants happy.

The down side of this ideal weather--atypical weather to be sure--has been the effect on many farm crops.  What happens in the long term remains to be seen.  Many seasonal crops like tomatoes need warmer temperatures to be at their best and you all know how I love the tomato!  We've managed to stock up each week at our farmers' market but the variety isn't as great.  I particularly mourn the lack of heirloom tomatoes.  We'll see how these "dog days" of August treat the plants.

We have been getting some excellent green beans each week.  And I had just the recipe to try.  I found it in the August 2001 Gourmet.  Once again, I've been trying to let go of some of my many, many issues.  I'm not doing very well.  Not only is this a delicious dish, it can be made ahead a set aside which I appreciate when trying to get dinner on the table.  It is a company worthy dish!



Green Beans, Red Onions and Mustard Seed Vinaigrette from Gourmet

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 pounds green beans

For the vinaigrette:
1.  Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, until just hot but not sizzling hot.  Add the mustard seeds and stir until they just start to pop and are slightly darkened.  This will only take 2 minutes or less.  Transfer, along with the oil, to a large bowl.
2.  In a microwavable cup/bowl, heat the vinegar and sugar on high for 20 seconds.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.
For the onion and beans:
3.  Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil in the skillet, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until a deep reddish brown, 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar, then add to the mustard seed and oil.
4.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the green beans and lower the heat.  Cover and simmer until crisp tender--about five minutes.  Drain and toss in the dressing.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve at room temperature.

ENJOY!

22 comments:

  1. Oh yes, company worthy indeed! Those look great!!! I steamed some fresh green beans the other night and they were so fresh and delicious! I stemwd them in chicken broth and served them with the grilled and basted pork chops using the recently revised pepper jelly! I wish you lived near me, as I would certainly love to share some jams ans jellies with you!!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great little match!
    Our weather is so similar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet those red onions just crunch perfectly with the green beans yet they are delicately soft too. I love cooking my onions like that but never simply combined then with the beans.I am always a huge fan of mustard seed;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a lover of Green Beans --so I would love this recipe. Thanks!!!!!

    We have had our AC on a total of 8 days all summer --and 6 of them was this past week. We turned it on last Wed. and turned it off this morning.... BUT--it was mostly due to the humidity and not the heat...

    We turned the AC off this morning since it's cooler and the humidity is lower.... Hope it stays this way--but I doubt it...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely company worth. Every time I try to throw an old magazine away, I find another recipe I missed the first time. I've finally quit subscribing all together.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beans sound delicious! Fresh green beans are my fave summer veggie, but the tomatoes and beans haven't been the best this summer, like you said. I'm stopping most magazine subscriptions, but wish I kept some of the old Gourmets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been in a hot, muggy and rainy trend. One of my tomato plants looks like it died practically overnight - I'm sure from too much rain and humidity. Those in pots are fairing much better.

    I know we'd love this bean preparation, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great and the mustard seeds are really different:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful! A new use for red onions beside just slicing thin for sandwiches. I always try to get the Heirloom tomatoes at the store, but there is less of them than any other kind. I read that they have the most nutrients of any kind of tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had the same onset of summer on Sunday. These beans look wonderful, and I've bookmarked them to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could send you some of our hot weather, Bonnie. We've set a record for hot, dry days this summer. It does produce a good tomato crop so it's not all bad. Will be happy to see the fall weather arrive. The beans looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just makes my mouth water. Yum, is all I can say!
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Right now I am just trying not to throw up at the sight of all those onions. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In every house I have ever lived I have grown runner beans in some part of the grade. The hummingbirds love them and so do we. This is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great side dish. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. A new and delicious sounding way to prepare green beans. We have had similar weather with only 3 days all summer reaching 90. The cool weather has definitely affected the taste of our heirloom tomatoes this year…not as sweet tasting as some years. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. This does look good enough for guests. I can see why you have trouble letting the old magazines go, as you find such delightful recipes. Hope it's cooled down for you a bit, Here it seems the hottest it's been all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would give a lot at this point for some cooler temps…temps have been hovering near triple digits with almost 100% humidity (belch!).

    The green bean dish looks really good. No doubt I would enjoy that too-

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought at first the latest photo was one of you with an earlier Oliver. =)

    Hmmm... the mustard seeds sound like a very interesting addition to these green beans. I did have to read twice the "trouble letting go of some of my many, many issues" and chuckle to myself... because if anything has become clear in this move... it is that I have trouble letting go of issues, too... and not just the periodical kind. LOL! We have had some real Texas heat these past few weeks (just as our little Virginians rolled into town). Whew! But, as fast as time flies... it will be winter soon. Good to be prepared. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks delicious, Bonnie.
    Florida heat is at it's worst in September. We'll have to wait to at least November for a break.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.