Since I don't want to start right off talking about the weather, let me just say: How about those Hokies? A goodly number of my Virginia relatives were at Ohio State to cheer the team on and were rewarded with a big win. A few remarked on how gracious the OS fans were--before and after the game. I'm sorry to say that Andrew and I missed the exciting last quarter. Death in Paradise was on PBS and we couldn't miss the last episode.
Now, the weather. It is 60 degrees this morning and going up to the mid-70s later. Perfect! We celebrated Virginia Tech's win and the weather with a southern (or any place you might be) Sunday breakfast.
The Baker baked the biscuits. He has, in my opinion, perfected the biscuit. The recipe is a combination of recipes that he has worked on for several years. It might sound odd for one to need to work so hard on such a southern staple. Remember, he isn't southern! Whatever, I hope he stops experimenting because this is a winner.
Biscuits
2 cups of cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp very cold butter
1 cup plain yogurt
Oven 450
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until very well blended.
2. Stir in the yogurt just enough to form a ball. You might need a bit more than a cup. If so, add slowly until the right consistency to form a ball. If, on the other hand, the dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
3. On a lightly floured board, press (never roll out) into an approximate 3/4 inch-rectangle and cut into 2-inch rounds. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Reshape the leftover dough and cut out more. You should have 10 to 14 biscuits.
4. Bake 7 to 9 minutes. Your aim is a golden brown biscuit.
5. Slather with butter (yes, more butter) and jam.
ENJOY!
remove the egg and i will be right there... we are at 80 right now.. but we did have a cool wake up at 74..
ReplyDeleteI make southern biscuits, too, and always use buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream...whatever I have on hand at the time. His recipe sounds great...and a lot like mine.
ReplyDeleteExcuse me now...i have biscuits to make....:)
Now that is a a Sunday breakfast ;-) Enjoy the cooler weather!
ReplyDeleteI completely detest Ohio State, so I always root for them to lose (unless they are playing Alabama, and then, I wish both teams could lose). So, I was excited to see that the Hokies came away with the win yesterday.
ReplyDeleteI love biscuits---especially slathered with sausage gravy. My idea of a perfect breakfast.
Anyhow, my daughter is always looking to try new biscuit recipes (in search of the perfect recipe), so I'm pinning this and will be passing it on to her. A huge thanks to the Baker for his perseverance.
Enjoy your lovely, near-perfect day,
Patti
Wow, they are some tall biscuits! I'd say he did perfect it-enjoy the beautiful day:@)
ReplyDeleteGosh they are gorgeous..and the egg and bacon look perfectamundo too!
ReplyDeleteMy son's in-laws live din Virginia many years and are big Hokies Fans! I love biscuits, Bonnie--I think I love a little too much as if I made these i could easily eat every one of them ;)
ReplyDeleteMy son's in-laws live din Virginia many years and are big Hokies Fans! I love biscuits, Bonnie--I think I love a little too much as if I made these i could easily eat every one of them ;)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could taste one! I watch PBS quite a bit and have not hear of this show, I will look it up. But it seems that I may have missed most of them. Are you coming this fall?? Maybe we could meet at Starbucks again, it has been awhile.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen yogurt added to biscuits. They look scrumptious! I wish it were as pleasant here, as it is where you are. It is hot and muggy! Just began to sprinkle! Ugh. So ready for Fall!!!
ReplyDeletexo Kri
Let know when it is breakfast time at your place, I will be there!
ReplyDeleteYUM.... I love breakfast like that (but I like my egg over easy)---and would really love your hubby's biscuits. Makes me hungry right now ---but it's almost time to go to bed rather than to eat breakfast... ha ha
ReplyDeleteOur weather turned cooler today also---and I love it.. Turned off the AC and opened up the house... Yeah!
Hugs,
Betsy
Now this sounds like my idea of a Sunday morning breakfast. You reminded me of my grandmother. We would plead with her not to chance a recipe and bless her heart, I guess she couldn't help herself, it would always be different the next time.
ReplyDeleteSam
Beautiful, beautiful biscuit!!! I've never met a biscuit I didn't like... but, these look like they might go to the top of the list! Thank you for sharing Andrew's secret recipe. ENJOY the cool, brisk weather! blessings ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteA good biscuit is something to behold. I've never made mine with cake flour though - I'll have to try that version. Just got back from my lunch time walk - its warmer than I thought today! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteGreat way to start any day!! Blessings, Catheirne
ReplyDeleteha a friend of ours also went to ohio to see his hokies play! i pinned those biscuits, yum!
ReplyDeleteMaking biscuits with yogurt does sound like a winner. Looking a the photo says it all. :)
ReplyDeleteJust wondered into your blog from I don't remember where (smile) and look forward to reading your posts. My biscuits are wonderful but they lack that beautiful golden brown top your hubby achieved. Suppose he would share his secret?
ReplyDeleteThose biscuits are gorgeous! I'm a total loser in making them and marvel at anyone that can make them so puffy! I think I will try this recipe and see if I can even come close hahaha.
ReplyDeleteI've had biscuits on the brain ever since this chilly weather dropped in to stay for a while! Your hubby's biscuits look absolutely fantastic and I'll be sure to try his recipe. The cake flour and yogurt must be the secret ingredients for such beautiful biscuits!
ReplyDelete