The Baker was enlisted to shop the market this past Saturday. He's usually very good at selecting produce. For some reason, he must have had a lapse in judgment and thought soft tomatoes meant ripe tomatoes. Oh dear! Thank goodness, only three were almost overripe.
I turned them into a jeweled bruschetta.
It just so happened there were three tomatoes needing to be eaten right away--a red, an orange and a green one. I chopped them up along with some basil. Thick French bread, rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil was the perfect base.
I hope you find yourself in the same predicament sometime. It's a delicious place to be.
Smart to turn those tomatoes into bruschetta Bonnie.Thankfully our farmer's market is open until sometime in October. I am a summer person and I am really going to miss tomatoes & peaches.
ReplyDeleteSam
oh! I totally adore this dish!
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed jeweled, and very inviting!!! You are an expert at making old food just sing!
ReplyDeleteIt looks really good. I'm all for the season change. Hopefully it will be dryer then Spring and Summer were!
ReplyDeleteNothing better than that combo! My daughter's boyfriend loves making these for us when we have dinner together. His family has the most incredible garden that produces these heirloom tomatoes non stop, so he has an overflow of them. He always rubs garlic on BOTH sides of the toast hahahaha makes it extra hot!
ReplyDeleteI would love to find myself in that same predicament! That bruschetta is just gorgeous and I'm sure it was equally delicious! Well done, Bonnie! Savor what's left... blessings ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteI can make a meal of that.
ReplyDeleteThe bounty of fall..for produce..nothing quite like it.
love this! I cant wait to get into our farmer;s market and rack up on new fall veggies and fruits!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is, yes please:@)
ReplyDeleteYour Bruschetta looks delicious... YUM.. We have enjoyed great tomatoes and cucumbers and corn-on-the-cob ALL summer... I'll be sorry to see it all end... We go to our local (small) Farmer's Market ---and the tomatoes have been excellent this summer. We eat one at lunchtime and for dinner almost every single day. AND---we love those tiny little 'pickling' cucumbers --just for eating. They are truly crunch and delicious...
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Betsy
Traveling through Italy with a friend . . . we tried bruschetta wherever we could . . .
ReplyDeleteWe rated them too . . .
I'd say yours would rate a ten in appearance alone . . .
YUM . . .
It sounds delicious, and so healthy.
ReplyDeleteNice bruschetta! Our farmers markets will close then too, but veggies not so great at any of them this summer. Not many tomatoes, very small ears of corn and stringy beans. Not enough warm weather and too much rain probably.
ReplyDeletehahhaa on your comment on my RUBBISH post...yes, they did have it hard in GIANT...but, hey....they had
ReplyDeleteJAMES DEAN for a neighbor. :)
aww Look really lovely I love these veggies Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteI don't think there is a much better use for over-ripe tomatoes :) Yes, it will be a sad day indeed when we have our first killing frost. My tomato plants are not very happy right now!
ReplyDelete