Monday, September 15, 2014

Still Summer

Sunday was a beautiful day in Chicago.  It was a clear and sunny day.  Big puffy clouds enticed one to find shapes in them.  I picked out a rabbit but Andrew just couldn't see it.  Boats still bobbed in Lake Michigan.  They'll soon be put into dry dock or go wherever boats go in the winter.  There was a chill in the air.  Early morning shadows were longer.  Evidence that we have only one more week of summer.

Lakeshore Drive early Sunday morning.

We were headed to Whole Foods.  The store can be jam-packed on Sundays so we go early.  Not as early as this Sunday though.  Parking on the second level, the doors weren't even open.  The sign said 8 a.m. and it was 8 a.m..  We waited patiently for fifteen minutes.  Andrew finally took the "employee only" elevator down and told someone about the problem.  He came back up the escalator and through the door.  When we headed back to the door, it wouldn't open.  Hmmmm!  Another ten minutes before we go in.  This is so unlike Whole Foods.  The young man who finally opened the door explained that there was a new security guard and someone failed to show him how the doors were to be opened.  He apologized and we were on our way.  First, some breakfast at the "diner".  Excellent omelet and very good coffee.  We then split up for shopping.   Andrew is a "get what is on the list" shopper.  I am a "list user/shelf shop" shopper.  As usual, I finished first.  We meet in the coffee shop.  I was sipping my coffee and people watching when the young man who had let us in walked over.  He again apologized.  I assured him there was no harm done.  He then handed me a gift card.  I assumed it was for a cup of coffee.  When I got home, I checked it out.  It is a $20.00 gift card.  Classy act!

We picked up our whole dinner from the carryout section.  All we had to do was plate it and settle into viewing The Roosevelts.  

16 comments:

  1. wow, that was a worth the wait wait if i ever saw one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Whole Foods! Boise got one in November, 2012, and we were fans right away. Then---to make us even more giddy---Trader Joe's opened up in February of this year. Who knew grocery shopping could be so delightful.

    How nice that they gave you a gift card for the bit of inconvenience you experienced. Obviously, they value their customers.

    Have a great last few days of summer,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Whole Foods. Ours in St. Louis doesn't have a restaurant, but I know it does have seating for something! Maybe to just eat what you purchased! The breads in WF make me swoon, as does your photo of the Lake. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your shopping trip ended on a very nice note Bonnie. I wish we had a Whole Foods near us.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Halfway through your story, I was totally thinking that they should give you something for your time and aggravation, so a good ending! You are very patient and forgiving. Did you know we have a fairly new Whole foods in Charlottesville that was built only a few years ago, right beside the old K-Mart. I believe it is in their old building that they put The Home Goods Store, it is awesome! Also they are building a Wegmans!! We spent hours trying to find the building sight and failed miserably. Even the fire station we stopped at did not know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I got so involved in your shopping story that I forgot to say how I love your beautiful blue picture of the boats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, WF redeemed themselves didn't they. Definitely a class act. Ours is a couple of miles away and I finally went a few weeks ago when my sister visited. You wrote this so well I was right there with you. We have the every slightest hint of fall in the air. Ever so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was great customer service .....owning up to their mistake and making it pleasant for you, the customer. Nice, very nice.
    It was a cooler but beautiful Sunday in PA as well. We sat around the kitchen table while visiting with our Blog friends from VA...in the kitchen instead of the porch because of the chill ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's feeling very fall like here these days... Bet you'll put that gift card to good use-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That would never happen here but so glad it happened to you! Love your pic- Chicago is on my short list of places I'd like to be, but the budget will rule. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's good customer service!! You just have to appreciate his out of the way effort. Lovin' The Roosevelts down here, too. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice. That was a very classy thing for the store to do. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful time it looks like you had and I love seeing all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is awesome!! yay for great customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby played golf on Sunday and it was a gorgeous day - especially as the afternoon progressed. What a lovely scene, which we also have on the lakefront just north. It will be sad to see the boats lifted out of the water.

    What a shame you were delayed in getting in but what a great way to end a bad experience. Very nice of WF!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Lake Michigan view from your side of the lake . . .
    I wish I was close to a Whole Foods . . .
    Nice treat you received for the late shopping start . . .

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.