Saturday, October 11, 2014

An Early Fall Harvest

The Baker did the vegetable marketing this morning.  It was cold and I had a date for coffee with a friend.  He was headed out the door with a list when I stopped him.  In a hopeful voice, I said "if there are tomatoes, get as many as possible".  Imagine my delight to unload eleven heirloom specimens onto the windowsill.  Lunch will be tomato sandwiches!!



This beautiful bowlful of cauliflower, zucchini, patty pan squash, beets and cipollini onions will be roasted tomorrow.  We'll enjoy them all next week.

I want to thank our favorite farmer, Linda, for providing us with such bounty all summer.  It was certainly a trying ordeal for farmers in our area.  The much cooler than normal temperatures wreaked havoc with crops.  LE Gardens in Wheatfield, IN is where Linda and her team toil and fuss over the produce for us (and a few hundred others--including several local restaurants).  If the produce isn't top notch, it doesn't come to market.  When it does come, it is a sight to behold.  Everything is nicely cleaned and beautifully displayed.  Linda, until next season, we'll miss you.  Enjoy a little rest until it is time to start all over again.

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous plate! It somehow reminds me of one of those still lifes that the Renaissance painters did so well. What a great haul of the heirlooms! BUT I have never seen or heard of cipollini onions! Spell checker want me to type poly clini!, What ARE they and why don't my stores have them? They look like small red and yellow onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cipolla is Italian for onions. Cipollini are small, flat onions that are sweet and tasty when roasted. I've never seen them in a grocery store except for Whole Foods occasionally.

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful ... and roasted ... yum.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful. What a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Believe it or not, I can't ever find the yellow patty pans here. I haven't been lucky growing them recently either-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bountiful harvest for sure. All so healthy and delicious. ~ Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were lucky to get so many tomatoes! Happy sandwiches and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, there is nothing better than a tomato sandwich. The baker did well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one thing so bad about Autumn is the end of those wonderful tomatoes and corn. There are acceptable substitutes for other summer veggies. But nothing compares to the fresh-from-the-garden taste of tomatoes. I always feel so sad when the last of them are losing some of that wonderful flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are still getting some fresh veggies. We are still getting tomatoes --but the season is almost over... I will miss the fresh tomatoes more than anything at all.

    We also are missing our fresh corn-on-the-cob and our fresh baby cucumbers (pickling kind which we love to slice and eat).....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll miss all this!
    Beautiful.Like a bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that roasted bounty is going to be wonderful!! Okay, I'd really like to taste that balsamic vinegar too... but, wow, $288. Whew! Not in this lifetime. Do you think that chicken recipe would work just as well for breast? I LOVE thighs, but my beloved won't have ANY dark meat. Silly guy... just won't believe me that it is the most flavorful. Yours looks delicious. Made my mouth water. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those vegetables look so fresh and good, Bonnie! The heirloom tomatoes must have been a treat!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.