Monday, October 6, 2014

Southwest Baked Chicken

Whew!  I just had to stop The Baker from taking the porch furniture down to the basement.  "No" I screamed said sweetly when it was apparent that was his intent.  Just because there was a bit of sleet on Saturday morning doesn't mean that we won't get a spell of Indian Summer.  The ferns and trailing  begonias are still happy with the porch weather.  We'll follow their example.  We'll make a switch to sipping hot tea instead of iced.  Maybe a sweater will be needed.

One of the more difficult foods to give up at summer's end is tomatoes.  Second is corn.  I believe we had the last of the corn recently.  It was so delicious all summer--sweet and juicy.  To honor the last few ears, I made the Southwest Baked Chicken that was featured in the Chicago Tribune a month or so ago.  The original recipe called for cooking it in a Dutch oven set in hot charcoal.  If your Dutch oven is as heavy as mine, you know it's enough just to move it from the top of the stove into the oven!  It adapted nicely to that approach and was delicious.



Southwest Baked Chicken from the Chicago Tribune

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp each:  salt, smoky paprika and salt-free seasoned salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350

1.  Place the chicken in a large plastic (sealable) bag and pour the buttermilk in.  Seal the bag and make sure each piece of chicken gets into the buttermilk.  Refrigerate for at least four hours to overnight.
2.  Generously butter the inside of a Dutch oven.  Mix the breadcrumbs with the spices in a small bowl.  Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and evenly coat each piece with the breadcrumb mixture.  Place in the Dutch oven in a single layer.  Cover with the lid and place in the heated oven.
3.  Roast, covered, for 40 minutes,  drizzle the melted butter over the chicken, then raise the temperature to 400, cover and roast for an additional 15 minutes.

ENJOY!

21 comments:

  1. I am with you Bonnie, I try to keep my outdoor patio furniture out until the last dog is hung!

    That looks delicious - growing up I never liked chicken thighs, now I love them! :D Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want summer to end either, primarily because of the tomatoes. I believe we'll get an Indian summer this year because it's supposed to be a very cold winter similar but maybe worse than last year. The soak in the buttermilk makes a big difference in how the chicken turns out. Looks delish.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. It's so hard to give up on my summer tomatoes and our fresh corn-on-the-cob.... I also don't like giving up the little pickling cukes we love to slice and eat (which seem to be much crisper and better than the big cukes).... Oh Well--now it's time for a big pot of chili or some pinto beans and cornbread.... ha

    Your chicken looks delicious. We fix baked chicken similar to this quite often since we enjoy chicken probably better than most any other kind of meats. Thanks!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chicken sounds great Bonnie, southwestern always catches my eye! I agree with you and am sure Mother Nature will give you a little more time on the porch-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMY! This look absolutely delicious Bonnie!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE to try this!!! It looks wonderful!!! I may throw a couple drumsticks in as well. I have my fingers crossed for the Indian summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! Our tomatoes were late this year, and lacked the flavor brought by hot summer nights. I will miss them nonetheless. Enjoy your autumn days on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure this chicken is delicious. I love leaving the chicken in the buttermilk. It is sure to be moist and tender. Delicious!! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks and sounds delicious!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious Bonnie. My next recipe to try and the ingredients are on my shopping list. Thanks so much! Thank you also for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my London post and it is so nice to meet a Virginia native :) I enjoy your blog very much. Your post made me smile about you not wanting your porch furniture to be put away yet. I would feel exactly the same. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our porch will be closed up soon too..The ferns are gorgeous right now..I agree!

    Looks good Bonnie..must be so moist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that chicken is beautifu to behold and i know it taste as good as it looks... sleet? oh no... i last saw sleet about 50 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this sounds good and looks delicious. I'm going to try it. Chicken is my favorite so I'm always looking for new recipes. I heard you had "snow" last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just closed the pool last week and put most of the patio furniture away. We don't have an enclosed porch to keep the season going, sadly. No frost yet! I still have some tomatoes ripening indoors. It will be sad when we eat or freeze the last of them.

    Delicious recipe! I really like using chicken thighs. They never turn out dry or tough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds yummy!

    Oh, don't put it away. yet.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks soooooo good! I know what you mean about being sad for the last ibunch of summer fresh corn and tomatoes ...and I'll add Colorado grown peaches to the list --they were favorites for us this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm drooling, Bonnie. Nice flavors and I love panko. Looks nice and crisp, too.
    Also smiling about putting the porch furniture away. We used to get it out at the very first sign of spring and stash it away on the first frosty morning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so delicious and easy. And corn ... missing it already.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.