Monday, November 17, 2014

Crab Louis

I'm remaining steadfast on the refrigerator and pantry clean out.  Saturday turned out to be a bit of a day for backsliding.  The Baker called from Costco to say they had King Crab legs.  I said "bring some home".  He did.  The sun was shining  even though the temperature hovered at 24 degrees.  I put a checkered cloth on the table, turned the thermostat a little higher and made us a Crab Louis salad.  Sometimes one just has to pretend.  And, to think, winter is still another month away!!

Crab Louis has been a favorite of ours for a very long while.  It seems to have started on the west coast in the early 1900s.  Some say it was named for King Louis (one of them).  Probably true since it is a regal dish.  Give it a try or save the recipe for summer or do both.



Crab Louis

Dressing:

1 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
juice of half a lemon
dash of hot sauce

Mix well.

Shell about a pound of King Crab legs.  Tear into bite sized pieces and add the dressing to taste.  Serve over a bed of mixed greens.  Accompany with toasts.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. Now that's not a bad way to spend an "almost" winter day. The salad sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no crab for me, but bob would like this and my mother would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer - winter - who cares as long as it contains crab.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds great; I've never had it and want to try it now that I like seafood much more. All of 14 degrees here now this afternoon, and supposed to be much colder tomorrow. Something's not right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad he found something special you both love:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crabs are delicious in any season. This looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh deliciousness..!
    There is so much snow in MTL.. snowmen are coming alive..mid Novemeber..it may be a loooong one.
    This looks like Spring on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh boy. Wishing i had enough crab meat to make this. Saving it for future date! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this cold so early in November is any sign of things to come we are in for a loooong winter huddle. I would love to pretend with some warm-weather salads too. Actually, they say many shell fish are best in the months that end with 'ber' so I think it's very suitable :) It certainly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would eat tis any time, Bonnie! I love crab meat--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely delicious! Do you buy the crab legs already cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They don't really travel well unless they are cooked.

      Delete
  12. Crab Louis has always been one of my favorite dishes and I haven't had it in such a long time. Perhaps I'll turn up the thermostat too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have pretty much written out my thoughts..in the teens, yet winter is more than a month away. Did you see the six feet in New York? this has a fancy name and would be great at a picnic, fancy or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.