"Come said the wind to the leaves one day,
come o'er the meadows and we will play.
Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
for summer is gone and the days grow cold."
A child's song from the 1880s
It's less than a week until Thanksgiving. There are a few trees and bushes around town that are holding on to fall color. Mostly the leaves are on the ground and piled at curbs. City trucks make circuitous routes through neighborhoods "vacuuming" them up daily. The weather has been dry for the past week leaving a bed of crunchy leaves to walk through.
As each of you prepare to celebrate the harvest in your own way, I'm once again sharing a few favorite recipes of mine. The spiced pumpkin ball recipe is handwritten on a card. I'm almost certain that it came from a decade's old Gourmet. Whatever the source, it is a delicious addition to a relish tray. If you haven't already, I hope you'll give it a try.
Spiced Pumpkin Balls-from Gourmet?
2 cups pumpkin balls (use the larger end of a melon baller) from 3 pie pumpkins
(Save the pumpkin seeds)
1 2/3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick, broken in two
6 whole cloves
6 whole allspice
4 2" strips of lemon peel
Combine all ingredients except the pumpkin in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for five minutes.
Add the pumpkin balls and simmer for fifteen minutes.
Transfer to a pint jar and pour the liquid over.
Chill at least three hours or up to a week.
Next up, use those saved pumpkin seeds for this delicious snack.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
I used three pie pumpkins for my spiced pumpkin balls and saved the seeds. I had approximately two cups of seeds.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Lightly oil a 12 x 11 baking pan.
Spread the seeds out in a single layer.
Sprinkle with sea salt and toss, pulling some of the oil onto the seeds.
Roast for about 25 minutes, just until they start to lightly brown.
Cool and store in an airtight container.
ENJOY and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
They are so pretty all bottle up..
ReplyDeleteHave never heard of these.Thanks..and happy thanksgiving to you and yours~
That sounds so good! I had to chuckle at your recent comment. I will try to post some sunshine and trees soon!!!!
ReplyDeletexo Kris
Hi There, Both the Pumpkin Balls and the Pumpkin Seeds sound delicious... I could probably sit down and eat the Pumpkin Seeds ---and never stop... ha
ReplyDeleteAre your boys coming home for Thanksgiving? We will son one of the sons and his wife next week--and we hope to see G's daughter and hubby....
Hugs,
Betsy
No, the children won't be with us this year. In fact, it has been a long time since they came for Thanksgiving. Travel is such a nightmare. We celebrate with the same two couples that we've been with since our children were little.
Deletemy favorite spiced anything is the jars of spiced peaches... i love them and i am sure i would love these pumpkin balls to. i love sunflower seeds, and pretty sure i would like your seeds.
ReplyDeleteFun, and the balls are pretty, too! They would be great to have as an appetizer on Thanksgiving! I love this poem, I have read it before. But this time I won't forget it, I have it copied and saved. Will you be having friends over? Going somewhere?
ReplyDeleteThe pumpkin balls sound like something I will have to try! Maybe next year with my son's garden grown pumpkin, bookmarked:@)
ReplyDeleteLove these pumpkin balls Bonnie
ReplyDeleteAnd sounds delicious!
It was so nice hearing from you tonight and to be able to come by here again. I have missed blogging and especially your site. You have the best ideas and recipes that I am going to enjoy over the holidays. Never heard of the pumpkin balls. Sounds like something yummy to try. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis computer I am trying to use may be a challenge for a while but hopefully before long I might know what I am doing on here. I have a feeling it will take a while. haha
Stay warm
Happy Thanksgiving
Love
Maggie
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThe pumpkin balls are lovely and quite unique. Smart to save the seeds too. Stay warm and have a nice weekend Bonnie.
ReplyDeleteSam
What a clever way to use pumpkin. Love it!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Velva
This is good, for sure, both recipes! It sounds spicy and my gang would love it. Great poem, your blog is the best!
ReplyDeleteThe pumpkin balls sound good. I've never tried anything quite like it, but as a pumpkin fan I'm intrigued.
ReplyDeletemmmm. And the pumpkin seeds--takes me back to childhood and we would roast them from our carved pumpkin. That sounds really nice that you get your leaves picked up each day. But of course you have to get them to the curb. I remember the wonderful scent of burning leaves at our curbs. Amazing we used to be able to do that.
ReplyDeleteI finally bought pie pumpkins this year to do this, Bonnie. I'm using them as Thanksgiving decorations but as soon as Thanksgiving is over I'll make the pumpkin balls..they sound so good and I'll serve them at Christmas!
ReplyDeleteBonnie, I love the idea of the pumpkin balls! And we roast pumpkin seeds each year. Yum!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful Thanksgiving!
i have never seen this done before and I am so intrigued right now. How fun and festive and how DELICIOUS!
ReplyDeleteThis would certainly be a nice and unique addition to the holiday table. Wishing you a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving. xo Catherine
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I love spiced peaches so I'm sure I would enjoy the spiced pumpkin balls.
ReplyDeleteI love roasted pumpkin seeds and your spiced pumpkin balls are so unique and something I'd love to try. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteBonnie, what a delicious way to prepare pumpkin! I bet those beautiful little balls would be perfect on our holiday relish plate. I have a few old issues of Gourmet Magazine that I treasure. I found so many good recipes in them.
ReplyDelete