Monday, December 1, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Latte and Holiday Musing


We missed having the children over Thanksgiving.  However, when I read in this morning's paper that the lines to get through security at Midway on Sunday morning were over a mile long--stretching from the security checkpoint all the way out to the CTA Orange Line, I was glad they weren't in it!

The Baker and I had only a short drive of less than twenty miles on Thanksgiving before we were seated by a warm fire sipping champagne and enjoying good company.  I wish I'd gotten a few photos of the beautiful table, my delicious plate holding roast turkey, dressing napped with some of the best gravy I've had (insert smile), Jim's cranberry relish (truly just like my mother used to make), bright orange carrots simply steamed and a mixed green salad with poppy seed dressing.  When we thought we could not eat another bite, coffee was served accompanied by The Baker's pumpkin pecan pie.  Oh my!

Speaking of coffee, I like mine unadulterated with any flavor.  Good strong coffee, very hot, and a generous pour of half and half.  On the other hand, I think of a latte as a hot milkshake with no ice cream.  Starbuck's makes a good pumpkin spice latte.  So does The Baker.  In fact, I think his is better.  Since finding this recipe (which I've shared with you before) in the Chicago Tribune several year's ago, it has become a tradition for us.  We (well, lately, he) always saves a bit of pureed pumpkin--enough this year for us to enjoy this treat twice.  In fact, as I type this, he is stirring up one for me.  It will be my lunch to sip while I visit your blogs.



DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte from the Chicago Tribune 

For 2 servings:

2 cups of 1% milk (or whatever % you like)
3 tbsp pumpkin puree
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon (more for sprinkling)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup strong brewed coffee
Whipped cream, optional (well, not really optional)

Combine milk, pumpkin and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until steaming and the sugar is melted.  Remove from heat.

Stir in the vanilla and spices.  Whisk until foamy.

Pour into two heated mugs, filling each only half way; top off with the coffee.  Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.

Curl up in front of a roaring fire

17 comments:

  1. Drat, my comment was lost again. You and Phil have the same preferences for coffee. He prefers unflavored dark roast with sugar and creamer. I, on the other hand, love trying different flavors and also flavored creamers. Gingerbread is my new winter favorite. I love the way you describe lattes, I got a big kick out of it! And you are kind of right! Your husband;s looks simply dreamy, I will be trying it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like good strong coffee when i wake up and only drink flavored if i am out for a treat, but not the 5 dollar kind, i used to get the 1.87 flavor of the day at Barney's when i went on break from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latte - any flavor - and a roaring fire seem to go hand in hand. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Good food, great company and a husband who makes a mean seasonal latte is a combination that is hard to beat. Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coffee they way you do, except I like a teaspoon of raw sugar, It has never occurred to me to make a latte at home. This pumpking latte sounds delightful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had the perfect Thanksgiving. You and I see eye to eye on coffee, mine minus the half-and half. Your homemade latte looks deliciously warm and inviting.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a very nice Thanksgiving! A latte and roaring fire sound pretty darn good too-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I have never tried a pumpkin latte'. I've always thought it sounded yummy, but I tend to order a hot chocolate or mocha. I think I may try making one. Thanks for sharing the recipe again. Have a wonderful week and stay warm. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks terrific!
    I used to love coffee..espresso..cappuccino..latte..au lait..really..hazelnut..no nut..

    Bodum..Melitta..
    Of late ..my old age is steering me to tea.
    But I rarely refuse a great culpa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My morning cup is unadulterated except for half and half. If I want a treat in the afternoon though, I'm always up for a special brew. This latte is luscious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a very nice Thanksgiving, Bonnie! I'm sure this pumpkin latte is much better than Starbucks', as it was revealed that they don't put any pumpkin in theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw Bonnie look absolutely delicious!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on the plain old coffee, but lattes always look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! It really sounds like a nice treat, and really have never thought of actually using pumpkin puree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although I love an occasional Capuccino, I've never tried making a latte! This sounds like a wonderful recipe for this time of year. Pat The Baker on the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was kind of glad I didn't visit my daughter in NYC too...that Wednesday weather up there would have caused no end of problems! Sometimes a quiet Thanksgiving with friends is a good thing.
    Your latte looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving - but I bet you did miss the kids. This latte looks wonderful! Warming and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a tea drinker but your latte does sound good. It sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.