Thursday, December 4, 2014

Cranberry Focaccia

I make an earnest effort to never be without cranberries.  Fresh, frozen, dried and canned.  Yes, there is always a can of whole berry cranberry sauce in the pantry.  It mixes well with a little mayonnaise and a dab of prepared horseradish to slather on a turkey sandwich.  Over the weekend, I roasted a turkey breast so we could enjoy turkey sandwiches.  While it was resting and cooling, I stuck this often-made and well-loved cranberry focaccia into the oven.


The timing was perfect!



Cranberry Cornmeal Focaccia
From an ancient Gourmet Magazine

3/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup dried cranberries
2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus sprigs for topping

In a small saucepan, bring cold water and cranberries just to a boil and remove pan from heat. Let cranberries stand 15 minutes. Drain cranberries into a sieve set over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid, and cool. Coarsely chop half the cranberries and set both the chopped and whole cranberries aside.

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, stir on lowest speed the yeast, sugar and warm water for a few seconds and let stand 5 minutes until foamy. Add the chopped cranberries, reserved 1/4 cup of the cranberry liquid, flour, cornmeal, Parmesan, 2 tbsp of the olive oil, 2 tsp of the salt, the pepper and the chopped rosemary.

Continuing with the paddle attachment, knead dough 3 minutes, or until soft and slightly sticky. Scrape dough into a lightly oiled large bowl and form into a ball. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise, in a warm place, 30 minutes or until almost doubled in bulk.

Transfer dough to an oiled, well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet or an oiled 10-inch pie plate and let rise, covered loosely with plastic wrap, in a warm place for 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375.

Brush dough with remaining tablespoon oil and press the reserved whole cranberries and rosemary sprigs randomly on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp coarse salt.

Bake focaccia in middle of oven 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. Is that ever pretty!
    You know me and breads:)
    Love this Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cranberry focaccia Bonnie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this all looks Divine!!!! and yummy. and thanks for the mayo and cranberry for turkey sandwich. that sounds fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this looks wonderful!!!! I must make some!!! So festive for the holidays! I can't wait to make it!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, the whole plate looks wonderful! Like what you would be served in a high class bistro or a French cafe. All your recipes have just the perfect touch. The focaccia is really beautiful uncut, so I would hate to cut it! But the smell would likely overpower me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice idea... I imagine this would particularly good with a strong cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really must give this a try. I've never seen cranberries used in focaccia before and this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big cranberry lover too. Your focaccia sounds amazing to use as the normal white bread in a turkey sandwich.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy this really sounds great, love the yeast and corn meal combo! Sounds like a flavorful addition to a holiday dinner too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Bonnie and looks delicious! I want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh...I love cranberries! Turkey sandwiches are not complete without them in some form or another. :) This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that bread looks divine. Never though to add cranberries with their tanginess to bread before but it is such a great idea. it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my this looks amazing! I love cranberries as well. I will be saving this recipe for sure....Have a wonderful week end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cranberries rule and this looks delicious! I've never added cranberries to focaccia and now wonder why. I will be mixing the cranberries in the fridge with mayo and horseradish. That sounds as perfect as your focaccia. Way to go, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Focaccia is one of my favorite breads to make! I have never tried a cranberry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this recipe, Bonnie. What a super idea for sandwich bread, never would have thought of it. I love focaccia too....if I happened to have some stuffing left over, I'd add a layer of that. Bread + bread. I'm soooo bad!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.