Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Savory Apple Chutney

Can it possibly be only fifteen days until Christmas?  Didn't I say the same thing last year?  And the year before?  Every year, starting in September (or the day after Christmas) I plan to make plans to avoid the last minute rush.  In my mind's eye, I see the tree going up the day after Thanksgiving.  Christmas music is playing.  By the weekend, all the presents are wrapped and under the tree.  December 1-5 will be spent baking cookies and sweet breads.  A batch of marmalade will be on the kitchen window sill.  From December 6 on, I'll relax by the fire and read or watch the Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel.  Did I mention that the Christmas cards will be signed, sealed and delivered to the post office the first week?

Here is the reality.  It is December 9.  The tree was put in the stand yesterday.  It is lit but not decorated.  Not one present has been wrapped.  Not one carol has wafted through the house.  Nothing has been baked.  I can't find the Christmas cards.

In the midst of getting nothing accomplished, my Canon Rebel turned up ailing last Wednesday.  It was mailed off to the Canon hospital and they performed diagnostic tests.  The prognosis is good and it should be home in a week.

One thing got accomplished.  A lovely apple chutney to go with our Sunday pork roast.  It has been a favorite for years.  The original recipe is from the Santa Fe Recipe cookbook.  


The above photo taken with my iPhone.
The photo below taken with my Canon point and shoot.



Savory Apple Chutney

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced onion
3/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup light brown sugar, NOT packed
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp curry powder
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1.  In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are opaque.  Add the ginger and raisins and sauté for 2 minutes.
2.  In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and curry.  Add the mixture to the skillet and boil for 1 minute.
3.  Add the apples and salt and continue to boil until the chutney thickens.  This takes about 20 minutes.  Watch closely and stir often.
4.  Cool, cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours to allow the flavor to develop.
5.  Reheat and serve.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. But you have chutney:)
    Once you start..it will all happen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this chutney dear Bonnie, look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chutney! This looks like a winner to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I can smell this chutney through the screen. ME too. NO cards sent, no baking done. I am done decorating and wrapping. And thank goodness I have not lost the cards. Have you found them yet? As to the Hallmark movies, I totally gave up on them back in November!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chutney sounds perfect with a pork roast. We've gotten started "a little," but some more to do.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple chutney...yum! I am only now getting started on decorating. I just can't get my act together. I would love to settle down with a book tonight, but the tree is begging to be decorated. It is that busy time of year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Since I enjoyed the curry in cranberry chutney at Thanksgiving I think this would be wonderful for New Years! Chuckling with your holiday time-line... Seems we all have the best intentions, and good luck finding the Christmas cards:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting combinations of flavors Bonnie! Need to try this one. I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all your kind words at the passing of my beloved husband - it still seems so surreal. I appreciated the virtual hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chutney looks and sounds REALLY, REALLY good . . .
    I will have to try it . . .
    (By the way . . . I agree, EATALY is fabulous! Loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the color is so rich and deep and it looks amazing. Absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious and would probably go well with lots of meats, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the perfect meal, Bonnie. I think the chutney would be perfect with the Pork Roast. YUM.. Thanks for the recipe.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sound of that chutney! You're ahead of me in the decorating department. My tree isn't even up yet- I've got some work to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there! Thank you for stopping by the blog. I wish so much you and your sisters had been in Roanoke for the tour - I think you would have enjoyed it. (And a stop-off for dessert and hot cocoa at Wildflour!) =) I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas! Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! Isn't that always the way it goes :) I just finished my Christmas shopping today and don't have anything wrapped, cards need to be finished but at least the tree is up and decorated and we got the outdoor lights finished.

    This apple chutney sounds wonderful! I am so sorry about your camera. Thankfully, it will be home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious!! Now I'm hungry!! Lovely post though...very good guide for ppl like me who is not good in cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. Ken would love this.
    Your list cracked me up especially yhe
    part about not knowing where your cards
    are. I know it is not funny to you but it is good
    to hear about others being behind.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.