Monday, January 5, 2015

Downton Abbey and Tea Bread

We had our first measurable snow yesterday.  It came down most of the day.  Total accumulation is less than an inch I'd say.  At 7 a.m. this morning, it was -2 degrees.  I've just been informed that our garage door is frozen shut!!  Oh well, I'm not going anywhere.

Did y'all watch Downton Abbey last night?  Change is afoot with a new working-class prime minister.  Some at the Abbey are pleased.  Some are not.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.  Will Edith find a true and lasting love?  If I invited you to dinner and requested that you wear elbow-length gloves to dine, would you come?

The Stained Glass Window Tea Bread that I showed off with my little Christmas tree toting woodie turned out to be quite tasty.  I found the recipe in one of Diane Mott Davidson's books about Goldie, the Colorado caterer.  If you haven't found these books, I do recommend them.  Goldie, in addition to catering, solves murder mysteries.  Well written, they offer the whodunnit with a bit of levity and a lot of recipes.

The cakes are not overly sweet and are perfect for breakfast or when you need a little something with tea in the afternoon.  If you bake the smaller loaves, they make nice little gifts.  They freeze well.


Stained Glass Sweet Bread

1 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped dried pineapple
4 Tbsp softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups orange juice

1.  Place the dried fruit in a bowl and cover with boiling water.  Let stand 15 minutes, drain and dry with paper towels.  Spread out on a tray and let stand 1/2 hour.
2.  Butter and flour two 8 x 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pans.
3.  Cream the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and beat well.
4. Sift the dry ingredients together twice.  Add them to the creamed mixture alternating with the orange juice--begin and end with the flour mixture.  Fold in the fruits, blending well.  Divide evenly between the pans and let stand for 20 minutes while the oven is preheating to 350 degrees.
5.  Bake breads for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove the breads to a rack and cool completely.  (I used four smaller pans and baked for about 40 minutes.)

ENJOY!

13 comments:

  1. Watched and loved..I was moved when he saved her(don't want to spoil anything for anyone..)
    I want her happy:)
    It is always fun to see them out of costume also..
    Your breads look wonderful and I still like the decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the only person in North America who has not seen Downton Abbey. Perhaps some tea and your lovely bread will get me to take the plunge. Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look and sound wonderful. kind of a 2 fruit fruitcake bread.. no Mary you are not the only person who has not seen downtown abbey, but i have seen a ton of commercials about it the past few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dowton Abbey and Im waiting to watch the next part here we see later!
    Sigh!
    I love these little breads !
    Look amazing!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cakes look wonderful! YES, we couldn't wait!! And did you see the special afterward? Where they showed you behind the scenes, and gave us a lecture about the times, no leaning back in the dining room chairs, different gloves and hats for every occasion, and such. SO, WHAT did Edith find out in that book??? That her lover was really a Nazi? You think? And what was that picture inside the book? A baby Nazi? That part confused us. and it was so bad that she set the house on fire! Again, just when he has been caught being the bad boy, Thomas saves the day. He has done that twice now. Lots of goodies to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get what was going on with that book. I think that when she threw it across the room, it must have hit a candle or lamp that started the fire?? Why would she want to kill herself when she has that precious little girl close by. I'm hoping that he will come back--maybe having been in prison or had memory loss or...

      Delete
  6. I do like the smaller amount of sugar, the loaves sound great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary can be assured that there's at least one other person who's never seen Downton Abbey. :) I think now that I'd like to see it from the beginning rather than jumping into the middle. I love your tea bread and think it would be the perfect afternoon snack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We record it and saw it last night. We really enjoy DA and I would definitely come if you invited me, gloves and all. Your tea bread is perfect for your blast of cold air.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little woodie!! ;) I have not watched the first episode of Downton Abby. We just managed to figure out Amazon Prime on our TV and I may have to go back and start because everyone I hear talk about it (a LOT of people... especially the knitter people) loves it. STAY warm, Bonnie. Looks like it is going to be hunkering-down-cold for awhile. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. We watching our Downton last night too! It did not disappoint! I am eager to see what happens this season. And yes, if you invited me to dinner, and asked that I wear elbow length gloves, I would come!!!
    Happy New Year!
    xo kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have yet to see downtown abbey series but I hear it is so great and its one of those shows you get hooked on very easily! That tea bread looks fantastic and perfect for an afternoon treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to each episode so much! I also enjoyed watching the special on manners at Downton and where the ladies should place their gloves during dinner. I think I misplaced my elbow length gloves a few decades ago - LOL. Wore them for a prom once. Stay warm! Can't wait for this deep freeze to end.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.