Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Muses Dine and Discuss "The Forgers"

The Muses met last evening to discuss The Forgers by Bradford Morrow.  The book takes the reader into the dark side of the rare book world.  The story opens with a reclusive collector, Adam Diehl, being found in his home with both hands cut off and missing.  Adam never regains consciousness so he cannot name his killer.  Soon, Adam's sister Meghan's lover (a "reformed?" literary forger) starts receiving threatening letters that appear to be written by long-dead authors.  Alas, my "reader" let me down and wouldn't allow me to finish the book.  I will have to replace it or borrow the book from the library.  Others in attendance liked the book but had mixed feelings, especially regarding the narrator.

It was like being in a snow globe traveling to our hostess' home.  Grassy areas, then snow-covered, looked as if that snow had been scattered with glitter.  Five of us made it safely and missed those who couldn't attend.  One Muse was on her way home from Florida.  One Muse was on her way to Florida.  One Muse was watching Northwestern beat Indiana University.  One Muse was ill.  One had to work late.  We missed them all.


Our hostess, Vicky, had an appropriate table setting
around which to discuss the book
and other myriad topics.


How clever is the glove representing the severed hand?
Note the forger's pen in hand 
and ready.


What else but a glass hand to hold lemons for our water?

We dined on a delicious vegetable lasagne, mixed green salad and, for dessert, a fresh peach pie.
Vicky has promised me the recipe for the pie to share with you.  It is quite unusual and I think you'll enjoy having it when fresh peaches are available.  


Last, but far from least, we all came home with beautiful soft and warm mittens that Vicky had made from wool sweaters for each of us.  Backtracking a bit here, a few weeks ago, she dropped off a pair of these mittens for Andrew to wear when walking Oliver.  He loves them!  I knew mine were coming and here they are.

VICKY, THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL EVENING.  TO THOSE MUSES WHO WEREN'T WITH US, WE MISSED YOU ALL.

15 comments:

  1. very creative to make mittens from sweaters and i really like the look of them and i snow you will like the feel of them.. love the glove idea and the lemon holding hand.. a fun evening..... you can read the book in the cloud, or download the reader and read it on your computer screen or on your laptop. i have the apps on laptop and desktop Just In CAse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to figure that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. Your friend is absolutely wonderful! and a genius with the hand things she put around, that is so awesome! Does she do this for each book? Or do you take turns meeting in different houses? So there are about eleven from my counting? You were BRAVE to go out in that weather! i love the beautiful hand with the lemon and the table is divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take turns hosting the group. There are eleven in our Muse group. However, there are really only nine Muses in mythology.

      Delete
  3. What a kind and generous friend to drop off mittens for Andrew and even more generous to make them for all of the group. Her table setting is perfect too. What a fun group.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. A shame your friends couldn't make it but five is a nice cozy number. I loved the creativity of your host's tablescape. Very clever! And she has a kind heart to give you mittens, very pretty ones too. Hope you are able to finish your book soon. I think that happened to me once with my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read that book, but now you have me intrigued. :) I love the mittens- what a clever idea to use sweaters. Your group sounds like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm sure we'd love having you Elizabeth. I want to be in your book group!!

      Delete
  7. What a clever table setting! The book sounds interesting! I have been wanting to make some gloves out of thrifted sweater leftovers that I have. Love your wooly mittens!!!!
    Stay warm!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a very different book but a fun wintry evening and what a perfect take home gift. Your hostess must be a knitting pro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky made the mittens from wool sweaters. They are so warm and cozy!

      Delete
  9. Such a fun group!! I love the red tissue paper from the glove, too. No detail left out. ;) And, those mittens look so warm! A most welcome gift this in a snow globe world. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wanted some mittens like that.... Regular gloves don't warm my hands like mittens do.... What a neat gift ---and how creative your hostess was... Glad you made it --and sorry for the ones who couldn't... Such a great group....
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like an interesting book and Vickie's book party props were perfect! The mittens look nice and warm, Bonnie. I find mittens warmer than gloves.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.