Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cabbage Soup (The Baker Makes Soup on Winter's Last Day)

It was bound to happen!  The Baker took over my soup pot this week.  This came about when he was rummaging around the crisper drawer for a lime to put on an avocado we were going to share for lunch.  There wasn't one.  There was about a third of a large cabbage and a handful of mushrooms.  I cannot tell you how often I've stressed that one does not have to be a slave to a recipe to prepare soup.  And, I've stressed that soup is better prepared the day before--at least.  He paid absolutely no attention and placed this delicious bowl before me at dinner!!

Today is the last day of winter!  



Cabbage Soup 

4 cups beef broth
8 oz beer
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
Bay leaf
Small head of cabbage, shredded
2 medium-sized potatoes, unpeeled and diced
Mushrooms (about 8), sliced
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, sliced
8 oz kielbasa sausage (beef or turkey) sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme

1.  Bring the beef broth, beer, tomatoes and bay leaf to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
2.  Add the remainder of the ingredients and return to the boil.  Reduce the heat to medium and partially cover the pot.  Simmer until the potato and carrot are tender, about 15 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

ENJOY!

17 comments:

  1. This is my kind of meal!! And, I'm a drawer emptier, pantry unloader kind of cook right with you two! ;) Happy LAST DAY of winter!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots os taste in that soup..he knows what he's doing Bonnie;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have never had any like this but would love to try it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds and looks great, you are the lucky one, Bonnie! I'm sad to say I've only made soup once this winter. Here's to Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we would love this. My hubby has a way with soup too. No preconceived ideas about what works together. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a small head of cabbage just waiting to be used in something, hmmmm. I think I have found that something :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. i am going to try this. When our son was growing up, I made a huge pot of my cabbage soup every week. and we ate it for two nights. We sprinkled Parmesan on it. I haven't made it in over 20 years now. SO, it is time to try yours...er, the Bakers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're expecting snow tomorrow, this sounds like a nice lunch:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM---that looks so delicious... With two GREAT chefs in the house, you two must always eat well....

    Spring is HERE --and I hope that Winter stays away...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just our kind of soup. Thanks for the recipe, which I'm going to use. And happy first day of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soups is always a winner at our house and my husband would be thrilled with the cabbage.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Spring! It was cold and rainy here today, so this soup would have been just the ticket. I think you should send The Baker to the refrigerator often, for things you know he won't find. Who knows what other delicious dinners he'll come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I'll trade you some bread for a bowl of that soup - or maybe a husband who can make soup - LOL! I love cabbage! I'm sure we'll have plenty of soup days before it really warms up here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd give it a try! And I don't even like cooked cabbage :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know folks can take issue with cabbage but, I love it. This is a wonderful soup on a cold day.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds delicious! I often put beer in the water I boil my vegetables for corned beef and cabbage, and I know I'd like this combination as well, especially with the kielbasi!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.