Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Pound Cake, Plain and Simple

What do you do when you wake up to find snow on the ground and snow coming down on the fourth day of spring?  First, in full disclosure, I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and didn't even notice the weather until well after 8 a.m.!!  The weekend had been quite nice before turning a bit cooler Sunday afternoon.  I don't want to bore you with the weather so will tell you what I did to entertain myself while staying inside by the hearth.  I baked a cake.  A trusty standby that I always have the ingredients for on hand. It always brings sweet memories of my mother and grandmother.


As you can see, the cake turned out perfectly.  It is delicious!  However, my sisters and I always liked it to be a little "sad"--that slight difference in texture around the top.  My grandmother said this "undesirable" occurrence came about with too much activity around the oven.  Her admonition to "tread softly" in the kitchen only spurred us to jump around in front of the stove when she left the room.

Nanny never quite figured out why her pound cakes were almost always sad.  With The Baker and Oliver around, I could not bring myself to jump up and down on the kitchen floor while the cake was in the oven.  If you choose to do so, you will be rewarded with an interesting texture.  Even if you don't, I think you'll find the cake delicious.

For obvious reasons, I photographed the cake on snowflake-festooned tea towels!



Just Plain Pound Cake

1/2 pound butter at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each of vanilla and almond extract
5 large eggs

Heat oven to 350F.  

1.  Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2.  Sift the flour once and add to the butter/sugar mixture.  Stir on low just enough to blend.
3.  Add the vanilla and almond extract and stir well.  Add eggs, once at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4.  Spoon into a well-greased and floured bundt pan.
5.  Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown and a tester comes out clean.  Watch well because oven temperatures differ.

ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. Plain pound cake is an all time favorite of mine. I have never heard the explanation before for "sad" pound cake! I got a kick out of that.
    Sorry about that darn snow!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite cake in the entire world ---and I LOVE the old-fashioned 'heavy' pound cakes that my mother used to make. Some of the newer ones are not nearly as good --I don't think... YUM... You have made me hungry today.

    We have lots of spring going on here (just getting started)--but we have a big freeze coming this weekend... GADS.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad or happy, the taste is wonderful.. i think i smell it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely! So simple and few ingredients! I got a huge laugh about you jumping up and down as kids! I never knew about SAD. My mom always said the cake would FALL, I think she meant cave in. The weather was calling for a wintry mix this morning. Luckily for me, if there was one I slept through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh at you jumping up and down in front of the oven :) I love a simple but delicious cake and it yours does look delicious, Bonnie! Most of the snow has already melted here but it was a shock to see it coming down Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow in spring is enough to make me jump up and down!!! Your cake is beautiful, I'm sure you all enjoyed it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that cake certainly doesn't look sad- it's gorgeous! (I can just see you and your sister jumping up and down in front of the oven!) Pound cake is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. simple is always better when it comes to baking. It looks perfect and just what I grew up on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute story about your Nanny and her pound cake. Pound cake is always perfect to me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing quite like the simple goodness of an old fashioned pound cake. I can imagine you jumping up and down with glee messing with your Nanny's pound cake! hehee blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pound cake is the best! Mine sometimes runs over the pan because of our high altitude so I've learned to lace a tray under neath the bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.