Thursday, May 21, 2015

Vegetable Soup With Egg

  I had a fun outing with my two dear friends yesterday.  Lunch and shopping were on the agenda.  While I wasn't keeping time, I believe we managed to spend almost two hours at the lunch table.  No, we weren't eating all that time.  We were talking.  Afterwards, we popped into the newly relocated Artful Garden where I managed to purchase a few "needful things".

It's hard to plan dinner when one is sated with good food (and friendship) from a day out.  Add to that the fact that it was 48 degrees outside!!  Soup weather!!  I remembered this recipe that Andrew had clipped from the Polish newspaper.  He had loosely translated it for me and it sounded delicious.  I checked the refrigerator and found what I needed and asked for a more detailed translation.  We thought it was delicious.  I hope Grandma Felice (whoever she is/was) would approve.



Grandma Felice's Vegetable Soup With Egg

For two servings:

2 handfuls mixed vegetables (used green beans and carrots)
1 smallish onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Mushrooms are optional.  2 oz sautéed if fresh; or a small amount of dried with the water used in
   soaking them.
2 eggs

1.  Cut vegetables in approximately half inch pieces and steam them until tender.  Add the vegetables to the hot broth and puree them with an immersion blender.  Bring the mixture to a boil, add the mushrooms and reduce the heat to simmer for about five minutes.
2.  Break eggs into a measuring cup, one at a time, and carefully slide them into the broth trying to keep them separate.  This isn't too hard.  Simmer until the whites take good form but the yolks are still slightly liquid.  Remove from heat and ladle into heated bowls, making sure that each bowl gets one of the eggs.

NOTE:  Amounts of vegetables and broth may vary depending on preference for thickness of the soup.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. I've never had soup with egg (other than egg drop soup) and I'm sure I would love it! Thank you so much for sharing this one, Bonnie! Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. this could work in any soup or all soup... and really easy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of an Ethiopian stew that includes eggs, guests get the eggs first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YEAH! Unusual, and we both adore soup and eggs. Funny you should post this now. I have been looking for dishes to top with eggs! Like rice dishes, or ever Tater Tots. This fits the bill perfectly! You said beef broth, but I guess you can use any broth you have and change the flavor. The Artful Garden sounds cool. Maybe pictures some time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In printing it, I deleted the name Grandma Felice, and typed in Bonnie. Sorry, I just HAD to. Then I know where I got it from. I have quite a few of your recipes that I did it with. I think our favorite may be the salmon and pasta. That goes WAY back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a soup recipe with a soft-boiled egg in it but I love it the idea! Thank goodness your husband can read Polish :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good, I must give it a try; of course most anything made with love and fresh ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been "soup weather" here too!
    So strange for May.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat.... A great soup --with lots of veggies, and a couple of eggs added for protein... That is a perfect meal. Thanks for the recipe.

    Happy Memorial Day Weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the perfect ending to a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely soup. Don't you love spending time with the gals shopping and eating? I know what you mean about coming home faced with making supper when you are full.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks interesting, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it strange that you and I look just alike...all skinny and young, with a cute umbrella, walking in the rain...lol

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.