Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Shrimp and Cucumber Salad With Dill


It has been unseasonably cool in the midwest.  I'm not complaining!!  Neither are the cucumbers and tomatoes but....they are having a hard time with their growth.  Lettuces don't seem to mind.  Like pansies (which keep raising their pretty heads, now well into summer), the lettuce crop is happily producing tender leaves.  

I love the lineup of fresh vegetables that we bring home from the farmer's market.  Mostly menus are preplanned and ingredients organized to maximize their freshness.  Well, that's how it used to be.  Lately (since the move which I'm blaming every annoyance in life on) I seem to misplace everything I lay down.  I finally found the checkbook yesterday.  I'm still looking for my personal calendar, the jewelry bag containing my "everyday" earrings, the paper cocktail napkins (which we needed last Sunday) and the recipe for this shrimp and cucumber salad that I copied out of a recent food magazine while waiting for a haircut.  In the meantime, there were cucumbers, tender lettuces, tomatoes and dill waiting.  From memory, here's how I put this plate of deliciousness together.



Shrimp and Cucumber Salad For Two

1/2 to 3/4 pound boiled and cooled shrimp
1 medium sized cucumber, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 medium vine-ripened tomato, sliced and quartered
Lettuce for plating
Zest and juice of one lemon
Olive oil
Parmesan, freshly grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh dill

1.  Place the shrimp, cucumber and onion in a large bowl and sprinkle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste.
2.  Arrange the lettuce on a plate and top with the shrimp mixture.  Add the tomatoes and sprinkle with the fresh dill.

ENJOY!

7 comments:

  1. What a cool salad, Bonnie! I know we'd both love it here! Pretty colors, almost too pretty to eat! :-)
    This crazy Midwest weather. So chilly for several days, so hot yesterday it was unreal, now it's much cooler and breezy today. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had shrimp Sunday..soo good! Love them cold or hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O just came back from two week trip to NYC. It was so hot and humid there. I am now enjoying Denver area's low humidity, although it is still rainy here.
    Your salad looks delicious--love the addition of shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O just came back from two week trip to NYC. It was so hot and humid there. I am now enjoying Denver area's low humidity, although it is still rainy here.
    Your salad looks delicious--love the addition of shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does that not look refreshing on a hot day like this. I smile at your list--I keep a running list of what I'm looking for! (running means there's always something I can't find.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect summer meal! Enjoy your nice weather:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving our weather Bonnie! I would love it if it were high 50s at night and mid 70s during the day. I can wish for Chicago, right?! :D

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.