Thursday, July 9, 2015

Tuesday's Market Yields and a Green Meadow Soup

I donned a warm raincoat before heading out to our Tuesday market.  The night temperature had fallen to 60 degrees and there was a gentle rain.  In fact, we haven't had one summer day with the temperature above the mid-80s--and few of those even.  And rain, rain and more rain.  Some days, I feel that we are living in coastal Oregon.  Actually, that would be fine with me as far as the weather is concerned (along with the seafood, etc.).  Back to reality here--some vegetables are slow in maturing with some even drowning!!


A sink "still life" of various kale leaves.


Lettuces and radishes.


I've found that if you strategically place 
pitchers of pretty posies 
amidst a cluttered kitchen counter,
one's eye will be drawn to them!!


Some of those lettuces went into our favorite soup, served in my favorite cup 
while The Baker holds out for a bowl!!



Potage Vert Pre

6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup minced green onions with tops
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons flour
3 cups fresh or frozen peas
1 head Boston lettuce, shredded
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream (I've used half and half)
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 cup cooked fresh or frozen peas

1. Saute onions in butter in large pot until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add 3 cups peas, the lettuce, spinach, sugar and salt. Stir in 6 cups stock. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer covered 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree vegetable mixture 2 cups at a time in blender or food processor until smooth.*

2. Beat cream, egg yolks and pepper in small bowl until smooth. Combine with pureed mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until soup is hot. Do not boil. Stir in 1 cup of peas.

NOTE: Soup may be prepared in advance up to this point*. Refrigerate. Heat to simmering before completing recipe.

ENJOY!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful finds at the market . . . so fresh and pretty. Our markets aren't here til Saturday and I often don't make it.Wish we had one on a Tuesday. I could go for some glads to brighten these rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snaps:)
    You sound very happy where you are Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that second sink photo, the lettuce would be beautiful sitting on the table as a decoration in place of flowers. so is the pot of soup while cooking. stunning photos of your produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had a week or so of really hot temps, but for the most part it has been wet and mild. Nothing is growing really well here. Hope you have a good weekend planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the weather is crazy here! It has been raining this morning and the heat is on yet again, in the 50's! Your soup sounds delicious and I love those snapdragons. I used to grow them in the flowerbed, but too much shade for them now. Stay warm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those white radishes! Great photos of your finds...and the soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful produce! I am missing my garden so much this summer. Unlike you, we are in a serious drought here in So. California. I felt rather guilty to be planting and watering my large garden. Plus, we were away much fl the early Spring when planting takes place. So no garden for me this summer.
    I am also missing my blog. I am need of a new laptop. Blogging has been difficult and frustrating, so I haven't done it. It was fun to catch up with you here today.
    Much love,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting adding lettuce to soup! I love your porcelain sink:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love soups always!!
    look beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos, Bonnie, and delicious sounding soup! We had SO MUCH rain this spring many of our local farmers crops rotted. Too much of any good thing can become a bad thing. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think we've had as much as you've had but it certainly has been cooler than usual. We just can't seem to get rid of the easterly winds off Lake Michigan! What a beautiful soup full of the bounty of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have such a tiny kitchen, but I bought a plate rack that I use for my spices and have it on the wall of my kitchen - easy access! The soup looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.