Monday, August 10, 2015

Mixed Squash Crostata


I'm not a successful maker of pie crust.  Not that I gave up easily.  Many fool-proof recipes from well-meaning bakers have come my way over the years.  None have worked for me.  I have no trouble with the French method of tart crusts.  They are overworked.  That's why I'm so good with them and not the delicate and crusty American versions.  So, I use the already prepared ones from the refrigerated section of the grocery store.  They are never a failure in my kitchen!!

With the markets filled with tender summer squash, it was time to try a crostata.  For the 10-inch pie crust, I thinly sliced about ten smallish mixed squash.  I then spread out the pie crust (no rolling out) on a baking sheet and heaped the squash in the center in several layers (each layer got a bit of salt, pepper and fresh thyme) leaving about an inch border.  I gave the squash a few "sprinkles" (a new culinary direction) of olive oil and then roughly folded up the border and brushed it with beaten egg white.  I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and popped it in for about 50 minutes until the crust was golden brown and the squash were tender.  


Delicious!





18 comments:

  1. It looks delicious and so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even I could do this one and would love every bite of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bounty time:)
    You could so make dough:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, crostatas are easy and taste fabulous. Love that you've used squash.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
    Look wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
    Look wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
    Look wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pretty way to enjoy summer squash:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous!!
    I am also not a pro at pie crusts. Prepared ones are so much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on the pie crusts! Those squash look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I just used the last of the squash from the farmer's market, but there is always next week-end. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those crusts are just too easy to pass up sometimes! ;) This sounds delicious, Bonnie... and I love the simplicity of it. Perfection. Thank you! And, thank you for your kind words of encouragement about the house issue. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your crust is way too pretty :) I tried making the blueberry/pecan tart from the cover of Bon Appetit a couple of times and the crust just kept falling apart for me. Never did post that one :) I was delicious though! Good old Crisco and vinegar makes the best pie crust IMO. Your summer squash crostata sounds delicious, Bonnie! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm smiling because I have both kinds of squash in my fridge right now...was wondering what else I could make to use them up! Perfect answer! I use those packaged crusts off and on..they are excellent and make things faster and simpler in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, I love your culinary term of "sprinkle" but that's something that I could use!

    I am going to share my pie crust tips with you - I put this on my peach pie post and realize I never have made another peach pie after giving this one away, and I need to make this happen.

    http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2014/07/21/i-gave-away-my-first-peach-pieand-back-to-mayo/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious, Bonnie, and the crust is perfect for it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could eat this everyday! Beautiful and I know it must be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore a delicious crostata and truly thank you for showing us that one can be made with a savory-flair! Looks perfectly yummy to me with all of those bright colors of squash, Bonnie!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.