I'm not a successful maker of pie crust. Not that I gave up easily. Many fool-proof recipes from well-meaning bakers have come my way over the years. None have worked for me. I have no trouble with the French method of tart crusts. They are overworked. That's why I'm so good with them and not the delicate and crusty American versions. So, I use the already prepared ones from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They are never a failure in my kitchen!!
With the markets filled with tender summer squash, it was time to try a crostata. For the 10-inch pie crust, I thinly sliced about ten smallish mixed squash. I then spread out the pie crust (no rolling out) on a baking sheet and heaped the squash in the center in several layers (each layer got a bit of salt, pepper and fresh thyme) leaving about an inch border. I gave the squash a few "sprinkles" (a new culinary direction) of olive oil and then roughly folded up the border and brushed it with beaten egg white. I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and popped it in for about 50 minutes until the crust was golden brown and the squash were tender.
Delicious!
It looks delicious and so pretty too!
ReplyDeleteeven I could do this one and would love every bite of it
ReplyDeleteI love bounty time:)
ReplyDeleteYou could so make dough:)
I agree, crostatas are easy and taste fabulous. Love that you've used squash.
ReplyDeleteSam
I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteLook wonderful:)
I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteLook wonderful:)
I love crostata Bonnie and this look absolutely amazing!
ReplyDeleteLook wonderful:)
A very pretty way to enjoy summer squash:@)
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteI am also not a pro at pie crusts. Prepared ones are so much easier :)
I'm with you on the pie crusts! Those squash look delicious! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I just used the last of the squash from the farmer's market, but there is always next week-end. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThose crusts are just too easy to pass up sometimes! ;) This sounds delicious, Bonnie... and I love the simplicity of it. Perfection. Thank you! And, thank you for your kind words of encouragement about the house issue. blessings and hugs ~ tanna
ReplyDeleteYour crust is way too pretty :) I tried making the blueberry/pecan tart from the cover of Bon Appetit a couple of times and the crust just kept falling apart for me. Never did post that one :) I was delicious though! Good old Crisco and vinegar makes the best pie crust IMO. Your summer squash crostata sounds delicious, Bonnie! Great idea.
ReplyDeleteI'm smiling because I have both kinds of squash in my fridge right now...was wondering what else I could make to use them up! Perfect answer! I use those packaged crusts off and on..they are excellent and make things faster and simpler in the summer.
ReplyDeleteHa, I love your culinary term of "sprinkle" but that's something that I could use!
ReplyDeleteI am going to share my pie crust tips with you - I put this on my peach pie post and realize I never have made another peach pie after giving this one away, and I need to make this happen.
http://www.mybizzykitchen.com/2014/07/21/i-gave-away-my-first-peach-pieand-back-to-mayo/
Looks delicious, Bonnie, and the crust is perfect for it. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteI could eat this everyday! Beautiful and I know it must be tasty!
ReplyDeleteI adore a delicious crostata and truly thank you for showing us that one can be made with a savory-flair! Looks perfectly yummy to me with all of those bright colors of squash, Bonnie!!!
ReplyDelete