Easy Pickled Beets
1 bunch of red beets
1 bunch of orange beets
(8 good-sized beets total)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
salt to taste
4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 tablespoon sugar
Wash the beets and place, unpeeled, in a saucepan, cover with water, add 1/4 cup of the vinegar and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30-40 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat, add the garlic to the pot and allow the beets to cool in the liquid.
Remove the beets and the garlic from the pot, reserving the liquid. Peel the beets and cut each into wedges.
Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and the sugar. Stir to dissolve and add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the beets. Toss with the beets and the garlic. Refrigerate for at least two hours and up to a week.
Serve cold or warmed.
And, delicious on sandwiches and in salads,
Pickled Red Onion
1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
3/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
3 Tbsp sugar
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5-6 whole allspice
4 whole cloves
1. Place all ingredients except the onions into a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Add onions and simmer, stirring occasionally for about ten minutes. A bit of crispness should remain.
3. Pour all into a jar. Cover and refrigerate for up to a month.
Enjoy!

It's wonderful how much our childhood comes back to us. Your beets look beautiful, you can't beat them for gorgeous color. And the pickled onions … now that I might try!
ReplyDeleteI have never cooked a beet in my life but the beet soup you showed recently got printed out and I want to make it. At Whole Foods the other day they had 3 or 4 varieties that were gorgeous so next trip back is going to be the time!
ReplyDeletemother did a ton of pickling and pickled about anything she had... this looks good and pretty to look at to. not sure if i am posting yet or not. trying it out to see how it goes
ReplyDeleteI love beets! My mother canned and froze veggies and fruit all summer long. Our summers were filled with work!
ReplyDeleteJust last week a friend of mine told me her Amish neighbor kids brought two huge beets to her. She said she didn't have any idea how to use them do she sent the kids back home with them again. So funny....and I'm SO jealous of her neighbors! I'd take those beets in a heartbeat :)
I've pickled green tomatoes and I 've pickled sliced eggplant, but the only thing I've canned is tomatoes. I've bought pickled beets, but I can see from your recipe that it would be easy to make my own. The onions also sound good, Bonnie!
ReplyDeleteMy mom ALWAYS pickled her beets..Love those memories.
ReplyDeleteBeets are one of my favorites and we have pickled beets with Sunday dinner often:@)
ReplyDeleteI love both pickled beets AND pickled onions! This is just the inspiration I need to squeeze in a little project before my summer ends. :)
ReplyDeleteMy mother froze things ran than canning. Your beets are gorgeous Bonnie. My husband would love them.
ReplyDeleteSam
Great looking beets, Bonnie! You know I love them :) I'll give you recipe a try!
ReplyDeletemy mum didn't ever pickle things either. I think it must be a generational thing because I tend not to do it although i know I should! I adore beets too so i'm mad really. Yours looks so lovely x
ReplyDelete