Saturday, August 22, 2015

Quinoa Salad (Another Midsummer Salad)

While tweaking/rearranging the pantry, I came across a bag of quinoa and a box of quinoa--both from Trader Joe"s.  Since they didn't just hop into the pantry on their own, I must have purchased them.  Hmm, we rarely use quinoa.  Why not?  I can't explain the omission.  I will say that this salad has encouraged me to look at more recipes for the ancient grain.  It was delicious.  I happened on the recipe while browsing through the June/July issue of Fine Cooking.  What was on hand (or wasn't) necessitated a few changes in the recipe.  The original recipe calls for the addition of grilled shrimp.  That would certainly dress up the dish!

Now, to search out recipes to use up some of the three bottles of fish sauce (one bottle is small--my Thai  friend calls it "purse size").

Have a great weekend!!



Quinoa Salad inspired by Fine Cooking Magazine

1 cup white quinoa, rinsed
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp lime zest
2 medium cloves of garlic finely minced
1 heaping tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 15-oz can black beans drained and rinsed
10-12 mixed grape/cherry tomatoes halved and/or quartered
6 scallions including an inch of green, thinly sliced

1.  Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
2.  Combine the olive oil lime juice, lime zest, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.  Whisk until combined.
3.  In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, corn, beans, tomatoes and scallions.  Add the dressing and stir well.
4.  Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. looks divine to me... have never even heard of quinoa.. now i have... i need to get out from under my rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't tried it (or the fish sauce:@) Your salad looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie I am nuts about quinoa and really..mostly in salads..warm..w/ meat etc..not so much but in salads I am a huge fan..this one looks good:)
    I have one coming soon.. we loved it too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just begun to use quinoa and it's funny. I looked for it for what seems like forever with no luck and now it's everywhere. Fish sauce is fabulous!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty to look at and sounds nutritious as well as delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there! Long time, no see! I am missing my blogging so very much, and hope to get back to it soon. This salad looks lovely!!!
    Hope you are well.
    xo kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look absolutely delicious Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look absolutely delicious Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quinoa salads are some of my favorites, but I've never tried adding black beans to them and that sounds good!

    I pour a little fish sauce into many dishes, including quinoa salads!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm addicted to quinoa salads at the moment but have only ever made it at home once! Yours looks so good and so colourful. Love the lime in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks good, Bonnie! I had a bag of quinoa in the pantry for ages and finally gave it away as I really couldn't decide on what to do with it. Wish I had it now for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This salad sounds wonderful with those fresh tomatoes, black beans, lime and wonderful seasonsings, Bonnie!I think you'll have more luck using the quinoa than the 3 bottles of fish sauce :) If you need more quinoa recipes I have a couple of good ones, one for quinoa pilaf with almonds and another for cashew chicken and quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I couldn't find your email address to contact you about the quinoa recipes so here are the links to both of them. We loved them both! http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/05/sweet-and-spicy-cashew-chicken-with.html and http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/05/quinoa-pilaf-and-gardening.html

      Delete
  13. I have not made quinoa in a long time and now I'm tempted to buy it again. Sue's recipes above sound good too!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.