Friday, November 6, 2015

Apple Sauce and Autumn Leaves

At the beginning of the week, the tree outside the bedroom window was a blazing burnt umber*.  Today, it is completely bare.  The colors of autumn are fleeting.  So are the leaves.  The storm during the night swept away a lot of the leaves--taking them to another neighborhood perhaps.  Maybe they will be piled up against the front door.  I haven't looked yet.

I miss the smell of burning leaves in autumn.  Neighbors would rake great piles to the curb and light them on fire.  They'd stand around, rakes in hand, and chat with one another--always ready to tamp down a blaze that might threaten to get out of hand.  Now the leaves are vacuumed up by city crews that patrol the neighborhoods in fall.  It just isn't the same!!

Making applesauce from the fall harvest hasn't been banned though.  Yesterday, I filled the house with the scent of apples and cinnamon bubbling on the stove.  These Ball freezer "jars" are perfect for us.  I'll make another batch today to insure our winter supply is adequate.

*burnt umber, another page from my memory book!  It was one of my favorite Crayola Crayon colors.



Applesauce

3 to 4 pounds of peeled, cored and quartered apples.
(I used a combination of McIntosh and Jonathan but any cooking apple will do.)
4 strips of lemon peel
Juice of one lemon
3" cinnamon stick
1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients into a large, heavy pot.  Stir to mix well.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Remove cinnamon stick and lemon peel.

Roughly mash with a potato masher.

Enjoy immediately or freeze.  Keeps frozen up to one year.

10 comments:

  1. Well done..I love the look of things I had fun making on the counter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM---I love cooked apples this time of year... Not only do I love them--but I love smelling them cooking in my home!!!!! George had some extensive dental surgery not long ago ---and he cannot eat fresh apples. SO--I've been trying all kinds of ways to cook/bake them... I've never thought of putting lemon peel in them.... THANKS.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the commenter above says, there is great satisfaction in seeing your work completed and lined up on the counter. I think we have another month of leaf raking. I remember the scent of burning leaves from my childhood when we could do that. It would be nice to have a truck come and vacuum up leaves on the curb but our option is bagging them or dumping them in our back woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe Bonnie. Always I think in make my own applesauce, look delicious!!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall is my favorite thing of year. It's cooling here.... The leaves are trying to turn. :-). Blustery days are perfect for applesauce and reminiscing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been making some applesauce myself! The crockpot makes it so simple . . . and, you're right, it smells so good!
    (I loved burnt umber,too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple sauce sounds good! Lucky you that they vacuum up the leaves, we have to bag them... But I agree, the smell of burning leaves was the best:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your apple sauce looks so good, Bonnie. I have been enjoying honeycrisp apples this season--I slice them and dip them in peanut butter--low carb.

    I'm sure burning leaves smells good but I worked in a burn unit for a few years as an RN and sadly we had 2 patients who were badly burned doing that. Too dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your leaves blew here . . .
    Probably not . . . but we have plenty!
    Applesauce sounds wonderful right this very minute and love the freezer containers . . .
    I will have to check those out!
    Enjoy a Happy Burnt Umber weekend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, the village workers just removed our pile of leaves from the street. Occasionally, a neighbor will burn his but it's actually against the law to burn in our village - unless you are using the fire for cooking. I love the freezer jars and need to find some!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.