Monday, November 9, 2015

Corn and Shrimp Chowder


Our summer was not the best for tomatoes and corn.  What was available was delicious and we had many feasts featuring both.  Alas, there was no corn to "put by" in the freezer.  Summer squash did not produce in abundance either.  That means there is no ratatouille stashed away for our winter dining pleasure.  As Scarlet would say "Oh, well, there is always next year".  At least she said something like that.

I have had this recipe for years.  It could have originated with Eve for all I know.  The bowl was quite satisfying on a recent blustery evening.


Corn and Shrimp Chowder

1 quart of chicken stock
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large crushed garlic clove
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 8-oz can of creamed corn
12 extra large shrimp, cut into thirds
1/4 cup heavy cream
parsley

1.  Reduce the stock to about three cups.
2.  In a small saute pan, cook the onion in the oil until translucent--about five minutes over medium heat.
3.  Add the crushed garlic and saute for one minute.  Add all to the stock along with the potatoes and creamed corn.  Simmer until the potatoes are tender.  About fifteen minutes.
4.  Just before serving, stir in the shrimp and heat until they are pink--about five minutes.  Remove the garlic clove.  Stir in the heavy cream.
5.  Sprinkle with the parsley leaves.

ENJOY!

11 comments:

  1. You have reason Bonnie some summer are best for tomatoes and other not.
    The same happens with fruits the other day a men said me this about cherries we had a crazy time in spring .
    Anyway your shrimp chodwer look delicious I love shrimp. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have reason Bonnie some summer are best for tomatoes and other not.
    The same happens with fruits the other day a men said me this about cherries we had a crazy time in spring .
    Anyway your shrimp chodwer look delicious I love shrimp. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I just realized I haven't made a shrimp dish in a long time - need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one to save and make soon. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to know Scarlet was a gardener:@) Sounds like a nice hearty meal-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks so good, especially when it is cold and rainy outside like it is today where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been around blog land much in the past year (lots of family things going on), but I see that even a year-long absence hasn't changed the fact that your blog still provides yummy recipes. This one sounds delicious---I love shrimp and corn. There's not much that's more satisfying on these chilly evenings than a bowl of soup, so I am going to pin this one and give it a try soon.

    Blessings to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Patti. I miss your posts

      Delete
  8. I haven't been around blog land much in the past year (lots of family things going on), but I see that even a year-long absence hasn't changed the fact that your blog still provides yummy recipes. This one sounds delicious---I love shrimp and corn. There's not much that's more satisfying on these chilly evenings than a bowl of soup, so I am going to pin this one and give it a try soon.

    Blessings to you,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore chowder and to me, from a country that doesn't grow corn on the cob we've always used frozen corn and thats how I like it! Divine soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love corn chowders too and the addition of the shrimp sounds so delicious - especially with the wind howling today!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.