Thursday, November 12, 2015

Polish Sausage with Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions

If there ever was a day for a hearty meal, today is the day!  Rain, lightning and high winds rolled in early last evening and spent the night!  Rush hour was a slow slog of a drive.  Well, not for me!  I spent part of the morning in my warm robe before dressing to drive three miles in no traffic.  I was there to help our friends (who are moving to our new neighborhood) by packing up the back of my wagon with some boxes and bags not to be handed over to the movers.  To be truthful, I sat in the warm car while they loaded up the back.

I had everything I needed to make this "stew" except for the cabbage.  I bravely braved the gusting winds to pick up some at the store.  Again, in being transparent (well, why not use that word in this context?), the dish may not be Polish at all.  It is similar to a casserole my Polish mother-in-law made.  I think she even made her own sausage!!  Whatever the nationality, it is delicious--and that's the truth!!



Polish Sausage with Cabbage, Potatoes and Onions
For four

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
6-8 fingerling potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 pound ring of fully-cooked Polish sausage, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups of Savoy cabbage (or another of your choice) cut into approximately 1 inch chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

1.  Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
2.  Add the onion and saute until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
3.  Add the potatoes and saute until they start to soften, another 4 to 5 minutes.
4.  Add the sausage and saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5.  Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
6.  Add the cabbage and stir well.
7.  Add salt and pepper to taste, stir,  cover, reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another five minutes.  Stir and check to see if the cabbage is done.  We like the cabbage to have a little crunch left.
8.  Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. My husband would enjoy this and we love everything in it, so thanks for the recipe! We have a lot of wind today but thankfully our rain has finally gone away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually have all these ingredients and will have this tomorrow night. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half Ukranian, Bonnie, so I make this type of dish often. I usually use potatoe perogies instead of potatoes, but fingerlings are also special. We had snow yesterday but it is sunny today and most of it melted. That'a Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making this. I know we both would love it. We are going to Oklahoma for Christmas and my daughter-in-law is vegetarian but I think Ron would really like it. I could fix hers without the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of meal! Nasty rainy in Philly too, stay dry:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look delicious Bonnie, I love cabbage and potatoes !
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cabbage is so under-rated, and this looks absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word. Anything with cabbage! Win! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish this was on the menu for our dinner tonight! There is something so wonderful about the combination and all I need to get is the cabbage. I have locally made apple sausages in the freezer to use and this would be the perfect recipe. I'm thinking the next cold, blustery day this will be on our table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I had all the ingredients for this, until we ate the cabbage for dinner tonight. Wish I would've seen this first! It's a perfect meal for this weather, a version of Bubble and Squeak! The wind has been blowing here like mad since Wednesday, I thought the car door was going to blow away today! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy dishes like this one. Thanks for sharing it. You are right these kind of dishes are great for blustery days.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though my daughter doesn't eat much meat, she loves smoked sausage - this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It may be warm here in Florida but your dish sounds terrific to me. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love cabbage and sausage so will try this one! Even my husband should love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A perfect meal for a blustery day!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.