Monday, November 23, 2015

Snow and a Pumpkin Roll

The forecast for Saturday was snow.  Snow that was to start late Friday night (and did) and continue through the day on Saturday.  It seemed a good idea to lay in provisions on Friday just in case the predicted three inches became a blizzard.  As it turned out, the bulk of the snow went north and east of us.  We ended up with about five inches.


Saturday morning view from my window.

As you can see, this is not a pumpkin roll!!  After pulling all the ingredients together. I couldn't find my jelly roll pan.  I'm sure I had one though it has been years since it was used.  Did I not even move it from Charleston (over twenty-five years ago)?  Oh well, I made some slight changes and the result, while not as dramatic, were delicious.


Pumpkin Spice Cake

2 cups of pumpkin puree
1 cup of sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp orange marmalade
1/2 tsp salt

Frosting

1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tsp milk (or enough to make spreadable)

Topping

1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped candied ginger

Preheat the oven to 350 and oil a 8 x 13 baking pan
1.  Beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, marmalade and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
2.  Add eggs and mix well.
3.  Combine dry ingredients, except for the nuts and ginger, and gradually add to the pumpkin mixture, beating until well blended.
4.  Pour into the oiled pan.
5.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center tests done.
6.  Cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.  Beat in the confectioner's sugar, adding milk if necessary to make spreadable.  Frost and sprinkle with the walnuts and candied ginger.

NOTE:  This cake freezes well.  Just cut into serving pieces and freeze individually.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. Aww..pretty though..a nice piece of cake..candycane green tea.. Happy Thanksgiving:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake sounds delicious! And it's unique with the orange marmalade. Good that you got a small amount of snow! We ended up with 17" of the white stuff. It's supposed to be in the 50's for Thanksgiving! Here's wishing you and your family Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake has a come-hither air about it. I'll wager it was delicious. I'm so glad the worst of the snow bypassed you. It would be no fun to be snowed in for your first Thanksgiving in your new home. I hope you and the Baker have a wonderful holiday. Hugs and blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, all the snow was by me! It looks pretty, but it will be gone by the end of the week with temps in the 50s and rain. Love your cake! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like that view from the window.. and yum i would rather have this than the pumpkin roll. funny thing, we are cooking a pork roast today and the glass covered dish i use has not been used in about 3 or 4 years. we don't cook very much any more. i found it but it had to be cleaned and we had fun trying to remember when it was last used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of orange marmalade! Sounds good:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I have been thinking about you since hearing of the heavy snowfall near you. The spice cake looks delicious. I am having difficulty posting comments today; I hope this is not a duplicate. Happy Birthday! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether it is in a roll or not . . . the cake looks and sounds delicious.
    Happy Thanksgiving . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious.

    Not ready just yet for five inches
    of the white stuff.

    Happy Thanksviving!

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yiur pumpkin roll looks scrumptious, Bonnie! We'vé had snow twice already, but it has melted quickly --another snowfall may come on Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this pumpkin cake Bonnie look amazing!!!
    Love some snow Im a winter lover.
    Here begin the summer but we have to live all seasons.
    SEnd you loads of love and hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, snow....it is that time of year after all. We're due for some tonight and through Thanksgiving morning...just in time to make mountain driving difficult. Thankfully, we only have to go across town (about 20 miles) and we don't have to cross any passes, so we shouldn't have too much difficulty.

    As you may have noticed, I decided against converting my movie blog to a "life" blog. Even though I'm not really wanting to write about movies anymore, I decided I wanted to keep that blog devoted to one single subject. I do love blogging, and I have really missed it, so I may end up starting a new blog one of these days.

    Pumpkin cake is delicious whether it's in roll or sheet cake format. And it's great year-round too.

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful window. And your recipe is very great! Lastest post of my blog : BEST ELECTRIC RESIDENTIAL BATHROOM WALL HEATER

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.