Monday, April 11, 2016

Wild Rice Salad

Last week was one of nasty weather around here.  Several days ran the gamut from rain to sleet to snow to hail to high winds to....!  The temperatures remained well above freezing so nothing gathered to deter being out and about--well, if one wanted to be out and about.  It was a good time to snuggle under a warm blanket in my reading chair and read.  So I did.  It was a good time to dress warmly and head out to have lunch with a friend.  So I did.  It was a good time to meet friends for dinner at Roxana's in Merrillville so we did.  Oh my, that dinner was delicious.  Roxana's is an Afghani restaurant that has been around for several years now.  Enticing aromas greeted us as soon as we stepped from the car.  Saturday they offer a buffet and we all opted for that opportunity so as to sample a number of dishes.  We were unanimous in declaring each dish a success.  If you haven't been, go!  We'll be going back.

Sunday, we awoke to rain pelting the windows.  It was the day for our neighborhood Soup and Salad extravaganza so I got started on a salad to share.  This recipe has been in my salad file for years and since I am truly trying to try all those clipped recipes, I decided to make this one.  I can tell you that it will be transferred to my permanent file.  Each bite brought a delicious pop of flavor and texture.  It paired well with the soups that were lined up in crockpots.  If my count is correct, there were seven soups.  While I wanted to try each one, I settled on a delicious melange of many beans with ham soup followed by a tasty sauerkraut soup.  The rain settled into an all-day affair but we were happily warmed by delicious food and the company of good friends.

The salad got very good reviews.  I hope you'll give it a try.


Wild Rice Salad

1 cup uncooked wild rice (not long grain and wild rice)
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup pecan pieces (toasted)
1 cup currants
Rind of one orange, grated
10 ounces of frozen petit peas, thawed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  Rinse the rice is a strainer under cold water.  Combine the chicken stock and water in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer the rice, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.  It should not be too soft but rather have a "bite".  Drain and place in a large bowl.

2.  Combine the rice with the remaining ingredients except for the pecans.  Mix well and let stand, at room temperature, for two hours.  Stir in the pecans and serve.

ENJOY!

14 comments:

  1. I've seen all of the bad weather on television. I saw a funny - "Spring forward - just how forward ?!? Maybe it was Mother Nature's cruel joke. What a stunning salad you've created Bonnie. I adore wild rice, but I'm guilty of forgetting to use it more often. I will definitely be giving this one a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put this in my recipe file and will try it soon. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too read about your weather. A soup/salad party sounds perfect for it. I have made a similar recipe, and it's a fun addition to a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it all sounds yummy and the perfect day for soup weather wise. this salad looks yummy if someone else fixes it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it is good..I hope you keep enjoying life the way you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look absolutely good and delicious Bonnie !! Love it!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like rice salads but this is a new one for me…I can't wait to give it a try when we have friends over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting combination of ingredients-sounds good:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cozy post. That salad looks and sounds delicious! I must make it! I love wild rice! I have caught up with you and your previous posts too. Your Easter table was lovely. My plate never looks like that! I have mine piled high!!!
    Lovely white bunny with fresh flowers in post from Spring Brunch! Hope Spring settles in for you soon!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had the same mash-up of ugly weather here, Bonnie. Hopefully we'll be seeing more spring-like temps this weekend. You've got such a good thing going with your friends and neighbors there and your soup and salad night sounds like fun - especially on a miserable day. This does sound like a delicious salad! I love a salad with textures and crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yucky weather for sure!
    Hopefully it has gone away

    This salad sounds quite interesting.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love wild rice and don't eat it as often as I should. Thanks for a delicious recipe and reminder. The peas are such a nice addition, especially for spring, Bonnie. It's been super cold in my neck of the woods this spring and we're hoping that temps will increase to normal soon so we can get into our gardens. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your recipe sounds great dear ,enjoyed visiting you lovely blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I recently discovered your blog ad enjoy it. The strawberry recipe on this page looks so yummy. Can you share how you make the whip cream.
    pmetz8rn@gmail.com

    Thank you Peggy M

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.