Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Sausages, Cream and Tomato Sauce for Pasta


We have had a wet and wild spring so far.  April certainly provided plenty of showers to bring out the May flowers!!  I've pretty much followed my mother's advice not to plant anything until after Mother's Day.  Nevertheless, these pretty posies have graced our table for almost a week now.  They arrived with friends who came to lunch last week.

We are wealthy people when it comes to friends!  When we moved to our new cottage, we thought our circle of friends was complete.  It wasn't and, hopefully, isn't.  One dear couple has given us much time and patience over the last few months.  They are teaching us how to become proficient at bridge.  
Since mid-January, we've been meeting for a morning of bridge every Friday.  We follow it by lunch.
There are usually eight of us but this past Friday, we were only four.  So we invited them to come home with us for lunch.


Personally, I think it is going to take a long, long time for me to learn the game.  I plan to stretch it out as long as possible because we really look forward to their company.

The lunch recipe is from another old friend, Marcella Hazan.  It's from Marcella's Italian Kitchen, a cookbook that has been a constant source of good eating from my kitchen since 1988.  


Cartwheels With Sausages, Cream, and Tomato from Marcella Hazan with a little tweaking by me

For 4 to 6

1 pound mild Italian sausage
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp dried Italian herb blend
1 1/2 cups canned chopped plum tomatoes and their juice
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 pound pasta cartwheels, cooked al dente
Freshly grated Parmesan to pass

1.  Remove the casings and slice the sausages into 1/2 inch pieces.
2.  Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat and add the garlic.  Stir for one minute then add the Italian herbs and stir another minute.  Add the sliced sausages and turn them frequently until they are beginning to brown on both sides.  This will take about fifteen minutes.  Add the tomatoes, stir and cook, uncovered, at a gentle simmer for about twenty minutes.  Add cream and turn up the heat.  Cook for another minute or so, stirring frequently.  Add the salt and a good grinding of fresh pepper.  Turn off the heat and stir in the parsley.
3.  Place the pasta into heated bowls and top with the sauce.

ENJOY!

15 comments:

  1. I love tomato based pasta sauces with cream in them. It takes away the acidic flavor of the tomatoes. Add sausages and it is a real winner. Will have to try this Bonnie. I was never any good at bridge, but am a mean Pitch or Gin 13 player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely flowers Bonnie !
    And love this tomato pasta sauces
    Look yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely flowers Bonnie !
    And love this tomato pasta sauces
    Look yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom LOVED bridge night. When she hosted I remember her putting up two folding tables for two tables of four. She would put bowls of snacks on each corner of the table and we were NOT allowed to come downstairs at all - all I knew was that I wanted those peanut M&Ms! My 4th grade teacher was one of the members of bridge club, and I thought it super cool that she came to MY house to play bridge.

    I'd ask my Mom and teacher who won bridge and no one ever remembered! Probably gossiped too much.

    This dish looks amazing - you reminded me that I have one of her cookbooks in my collection - I need to bring that out again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've met couples here who want to play cards and I always decline, as the only card game I know is rummy and Old Maid...lol. I'd love to find someone patient enough to teach me bridge. Your lunch looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are rich in friends..my parents were bridge players and all through Univerisity my husband was..I have no idea..have never learned how..
    I haven't had cartwheels in ages! I love MH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and a delicious meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I would like this meal-sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's a recipe without tweaking and making it your own. Good for you to pursue the bridge learning. So good for our brains to learn something new. The bonus is new friends. It sounds like your move was a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to play bridge...years ago. Now everyone wants me to start again, but the rules have changed and I'd have to take lessons and start at the beginning. Not sure I'm up to it!
    Love the wagon wheels here...don't know why I don't get more creative with my pasta dishes. This looks delish, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to play a lot of bridge and had a regular group of two tables. Some of the husbands didn't care for it so now we don't play hardy at all, which is too bad! You are lucky! Lunch looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, now I am hungry, thank you very much! :)

    Don't know a thing about Bridge but those that I know
    who play enjoy it.

    Hope you had a great Mother's Day.

    M : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have friends that urge me on to learn bridge, but I think I'm a lost cause. Learning to crochet is my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rich in friends and good food ... perfect combo.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been a wet and wild spring here too! Like you, Bonnie, I've had a terrible time learning how to play bridge. I just ended up giving up on it. Your new friends sound so nice! And oh, I love this recipe inspired by Marcella Hazan! I just love creamy sauces.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you, my blogging friends.